FO Setup Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DXJoe

Registered Member
Dec 27, 2009
I'm piecing together a 55-70gal FO marine setup. This will be my first marine tank, so I will need some help doing it right.

I've read a ton of information and hate to tell you I may be more confused now than I was before I began this crazy venture!

To get to the point I really hate the idea of live rock. I understand the purpose, namely that of a biological filter, however I believe it to be pretty aesthetically unappealing. With that said:

What type of setup should I be looking at for a FO tank of this size? I've considered adding some aftermarket equipment (2 50/50's, powerhead(s), protein skimmer, etc.) to one of the top fin 55-70gal starter kits:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3804445

I think the above setup should be relatively effective (with added equipment) however my concern is with leaving live rock out of the setup. What will I use in order to ensure a proper nitrogen cycle and eventual levels of 0.00?

I've really researched this and have had a hard time finding a definitive answer. I hope someone can help. Looking forward to a constructive convo.

PS. I promise to put up DETAILED pics of the step by step setup. I've noticed these to be hard to come by as well. Thanks in advance! :feedback:

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
Well first off about the only things that could work for you would be these
55 gallon glass aquarium with plastic frame
Two (24") full hoods with flourescent lights
Adjustable 200w UL heater
I feel you should use a good canister filter or get it drilled for a sump/fuge system. I really think you sould think about the rock idea and if price is an issue you can get dry base rock but the rock is the best part of your filtration and then a nice deep sand bed of 4-6 inches. Things will kind of depend on your fish choices as alot of fish enjoy swimming thru the rock work and a few dont but you will be limited on you fish choices in a 55 gallon tank. I suggest you get as big as you can and then get it drilled because then you can keep your skimmer and heater down in the sump and the evaporation will happen in your sump and you wont see it in the display also added water volume will make things easier. What type of fish are you hoping to keep.

DXJoe

Registered Member
Dec 27, 2009
I know it may offend some of the enthusiasts on this site, but I think a lot of the live rocks look pretty dirty and grimey. I have no problem introducing "dry" rocks or dead coral structures, and actually plan to do so. I feel they look nice and will obviously bennefit the animals I will be keeping. At the end of the day I just want a very "clean" looking setup for my living room.

I've limited the tank size for space reasons. I'm okay with a tank up to 75gallons. But do not wish to go much larger than that.

My understanding is that a deep sand bed (4-6") in a setup that doesn't utilize an undergravel filter is actually a bad decision, as it can harbor large amounts nitrates from various decaying materials. Everything I've read has listed 1-2" maximum.

I really am concerned with how to keep nitrates low and cycle a system that does not utilize live rock. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks again.

viethluu

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Well, as long as I know, a system without live rock will basically reduce the life force in your tank by rising the concentration of nitrate and nitrite. You can go without live rock however, using powerful protein skimmer (Octopus or aquaC), or you can place your live rock in a sump and hide it somewhere that no one can see (old filtration method).

LMThomson

AC Members
Feb 14, 2010
Getting the Best Out of Live Rock

There may be something of a compromise that you might like to consider: Use live rock as the structural foundation for a wall/reef in your tank. If you pick your shapes and stack them carefully, you can create an excellent base for your coral specimens plus places for anemone to attach and fish to hide.

Here is a thread regarding a coldwater setup where the owner has had incredible success just because he has paid very close attention to his biotope:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150891&page=23

The above link takes you straight to the discussion I have been having with the owner - very enlightening.

You owe it to yourself to have a look at his whole thread, some of his photos are just incredible.

Good luck with your project.

Kind regards,

Laurie Thomson

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
...My understanding is that a deep sand bed (4-6") in a setup that doesn't utilize an undergravel filter is actually a bad decision, as it can harbor large amounts nitrates from various decaying materials. Everything I've read has listed 1-2" maximum...
The 4"-6" DSB (fine sand) will allow the formation of oxygen-free zones and promote the growth of anaerobic bacteria which can convert nitrate into nitrogen gas and can contribute to low or even non-detectable nitrate levels in the tank. Microfauna (bristleworms, various 'pods', micro-seastars, etc) usually process waste products on and within the sand.

With that said, some DSB's over time can become 'nutrient sinks' and can crash during certain circumstances.

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
As long as you don't intend on keeping corals, which need super clean water conditions, you should be fine. You'll still need to watch ph, ammonia, nitrites and the like, as usual. But a FO tank can handle nitrates a lot higher than any other kind of marine tank. It's still the same cycle as a freshwater tank. Beneficial bacteria will eventually build up.
I agree about the cannister filters, PITA to maintain on a marine tank because you should do maintenance every week on it with a marine tank. Go with the pair of power filters (sump would be better, plus you can hide heaters and such in it), you might have to change filter media a lot more often, but it's easier than on a cannister. But FOR SURE get a skimmer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store