2 new fish,gona be overstocked!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
well i went to the shop today to pick up some food for my finkids, and made the fatal mistake...wandered to see the goldie tanks, knew i shouldnt, but couldnt resist.

well there was a beautiful 4 inch fantail girl about to be purchased for a little boys 8 gallon 'tank' he had just got mummy and daddy to get for him. the person selling the fish said she had to go check the fish would be ok being sold with the tank not being set-up yet but didnt see a problem as long as they purchased some start up bacteria :headshake2: , well i couldnt see this beauty stuck in a tiny tank like that, so while the sales woman was asking her manager, i got a young assistant to fish out the big fantail for me. thankfully i did as the sales person and couple with the young boy came back and the boy was saying i cant have the 'messy fish with black bits now coz that ladys got it' and the sales person was still happy to sell them a smaller fish, still bad i know but at least this girls got room to move. i also found a gorgeous teeny tiny 1-2 inch blue/silver/orange calico boy, he was just too sweet and i had to try to convince the assistant i had 2 tanks and he was going in the 15 gallon until big enough to mess with the larger fish. eventually they got him out for me. they are now both in the 15 gallon QT. it annoys me that they question the way i keep my fish, yet they will happily sell monster fish to tiny 'tanks' for kids :argue:

i really need to avoid the fish sections or il be looking out for an 8 foot tank :D

so il be overstocked when the 2 newbies get into the tank, but il be upping PWC and keeping a close eye on parameters. goldfish are way too addictive!

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
have just spent 20 mins taking a lots of pics, only for my laptop to refuse to find them on my phone :mad2: will have to try again tomorrow when i have more time.

round here all the bad pet places ask about tanks and inhabitants, yet their information is usually rubbish so even though i take good care of my fish and have a large tank i am often refused sales (was once told that you cant house orandas with goldfish as the orandas will eat the goldfish :help2:) . to the point that one pet shop refuses to believe i own a 6x2x2 tank, and will not sell me any fish. one of the assistants even told me they dont make tanks that size :wall: even when i showed them a pic of my tank, full shot, with my 2 kids in front of it, they said it could have been anyones :swear: and then proceeded to sell 3 common goldfish to someone with a bi-orb they had set-up 1 week earlier :irked: the places with better fish, at better prices, dont ask questions unless its a tank buster fish such as bala sharks,common plecs,pacu etc.

round here it seems sad but true that if you try to do everything right, you are not believed as 'nobody would have a tank that big for a few goldfish'!

when i bought my tank online, i got to the guys house who owned it and he had 63 common and shubunkin goldfish in there and when i said what i had he said oh you will soon have more :( and that you dont need to run a filter for goldfish as they are good and hardy! thankfully all his fish were given away free to pond owners before i collected the tank.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Wow. Orandas will eat the goldfish, huh? I hate those goldfish eating Orandas! :) Good luck with the new additions, Kelly. Stocking guidelines are just that-- guidelines. You know what you're doing. Can't wait to see pix when you are able to get them.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Orandas eat other goldfish? Sure!:rofl: :rofl:

Where are the pics, Kelly??? Please don't keep us waiting!!!:silly:

P.S. I might have 5 young demekins shipped if I am lucky.:D

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
You picked the wrong fish to get "addicted" too...bettas are far easier.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
63 huh.. Keep this up and you'll be there in no time... ;)

Post pictures or else your lying to get attention.

:laugh: tempting though it is with all the beauties out there, the look of those poor fish in this tank when he sent me pics of it was shocking. i have no idea how long he had them in there, they were between a couple of inches up to maybe 6 inches long each and all just swam in a big circle, it was like a wall of fish! im wondering if i still have the picture somewhere now to show you all...hmm will have to search for it. he said he thought he had around 30-40 and when he started netting he was shocked too.

still attempting to get my phone to agree that the pics are on it :irked: its refusing to find them still. i do have pictures...honest! they have both settled in really well, and no surprise but the bigger fantail hasnt snacked on the smaller one overnight...just wait til i have them in with those goldfish eating orandas :screwy::laugh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store