beginning brackish what fish to get?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kYle223

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
i want to learn how to maintain a saltwater tank but first i want to get used to the concept of salt so ime gona be starting with a brackish tank

one of the tanks that i have is a fancy goldfish tank that i am upgrading frome a 10 to 20 gallon so i will have a spare 10 gallon lying around

so any ideas of a good hearty fish i can put in it that needs a bit more salt than guppies or molies (wich i do like i just want saltier)

just throw annything out there that you have had good experiences with
that i culd have in a 10 for at least a year or two till i get some room and money to upgrade

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
A group of 3-4 Bumblebee gobies would be awesome in a 10g!

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
I agree. Guppies aren't really brackish water fish anyway, they just "tolerate" it rather well. Mollies, well, it depends on the species. Poecilia sphenops, which are what most of the fancy varieties sold in stores are, have been bred away from brackish conditions for quite some time. However, P. latippina and P. velifera are a true BW fish, and are found in anything from full FW to full SW conditions in the wild. A 10 gallon tank is not big enough for either species by a long shot.

Bumblebee gobies are great little BW fish, and in a ten gallon with a lot of nice rock caves and drift wood, it would be easy to have a small group of them. They do need caves and they do need to be able to stake a territory, so 4 is a good number that should not overcrowd them too badly.

As for the "salty-ness" of the tank, well, there are some fish that do need a bit more brackish conditions, but most will do fine in the 1.005 to 1.010 SG range. Really, a BW tank is nothing like a marine tank. Nothing. It is more like a FW tank that you throw a little salt in. The chemistry is no where near the same.

Kristina

kYle223

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
i want to become fermilliar with having a sg range.
in my freshwater tanks i dont even need to pay any attention to chemistry
so i figured this wuld be a good place to start.

unless you have a better place to start
after this i was gona get a puffer and than move on to damsel or clown fish (after a while)

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Hmm, in the general freshwater, you posted about getting a puffer. So are you going to do this brackish or do you want to try puffers in it? There are brackish puffers, but the only puffer that I would recommend for a 10g is the dwarf puffer which is completely freshwater.

If you do want to go brackish, then I would go with 3-4 bumblebee gobies as well. I know most articles/profiles say they stay at the bottom of the tank, but they are all over my 44g corner tank. They do like to have plenty of cover with caves at the bottom, but I rarely actually see them in the caves, lol! They are usually sitting on my fake plants, rocks, the caves (clay pots), or "stuck" to the glass sides. They look like water bulldogs to me, lol! They do need frozen foods because they won't hit freeze dried (unless maybe if soaked first so they sink) and definitely won't go for pellets or flake. Some will only take live, but I find that they will readily take any frozen foods they can fit in their mouths as long as it is floating in the current from the filter and powerhead.

kYle223

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
yea im just figuring out what to do with the leftover 10 gallon i actually have three diferent threads going with three different setups and im going to do the one with the most positive feedback and at the moment the dwarf puffers are winning
a 10 galon odball tank is at 2nd place folowed by bumble bee gobies in 3rd

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Haha yah they do look like water bulldogs! I had some and they were pretty entertaining. I vote Bumblebee gobies, but dwarf puffers are really cool too.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
IMO, trying a brackish tank isn't a good way to practice for a marine tank - really, nothing is. The act of adding salt isn't something you need to practice for a whole year beforehand.

The other thing is that there really isn't much you can do with a brackish 10g. Even BBGs are really more of a freshwater fish than a brackish one.

kYle223

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
dont think of this as practice for a marine tank think of this as getting more complicated i do want to learn marine eventually but at the moment im just gona focus on needing to measure stuff
to be honest this is less of a goal and more of an excuse to set up another tank
LOL you know what i mean:hypnotized:MUST USE FISHTANK:hypnotized:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store