6500K / 6700K 250w MH Bulbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I'm looking to experiment a little with some lower K / more yellow bulbs. I know that many people swear by the 250w Iwasaki 6500K bulbs and I was going to order a couple real soon, but today I stumbled upon the Reef Brite 250w 6700K bulb. It's nearly 1/2 the price of the Iwasaki 6500K, but I'm not finding much info about the Reef Brite 6700K on the internet. The only thing I know is that Reef Brite came out with the twin arc MH bulbs... haven't been able to discover much more than that, and that isn't particularly helpful.

Anyone used the 250w Reef Brite 6700K bulb and want to share thoughts about its performance / longevity?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
For the price, they just might be worth trying.

While it doesn't help at the moment (their website is still under construction at this time), I did actually find their website: http://reefbrite.com/ Odd how simple their web address is, yet Google wouldn't show it in a search result anywhere near the first few pages until after I put Reef Brite in quotes.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
you really like the more yellow bulbs? i dk why i couldnt stand them! post pics up when you get it done i cant wait to see

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
It's not so much that I know that I like them... It's more that I'm looking to see how much better the growth is (or if it is even better) and if I can balance out the color enough with a small number of VHO actinics and/or T5 HO actinics / bluer bulbs.

With the way the lighting will be over the particular tank I'd put them on, my feeling is that I'm going to need to have more than just 2 MHs to get the type of coverage / light distribution I want, but it's pretty impractical to add any more MHs to the set up. The tank is the Marineland Deep Dimension 250g (5' x 3' x 27") and I want to see if I can properly light the tank with 2 x 250w in Lumen Bright Large pendants and a small number of VHOs or T5 HOs. The LB Large pendants, which will sit on top of the canopy that I have to cut out holes for due to their height requirement, should provide enough spread and a lower K bulb should provide enough PAR (I know, PAR is not an ideal measurement of output), but I think I'll need some VHOs or T5 HOs to even out the overall light distribution, as well as acheive more of a color balance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store