Girlfriends for betta in new tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abisheridee

fish noob!
Nov 21, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm currently cycling a ten gallon tank, and am moving my male betta into there when it's sorted. I was wondering, as I've heard this can cause problems, if it would be wise (or not) to get him a couple of female bettas that he can swim around with?

Tonalea

AC Members
Oct 23, 2009
Oklahoma
I think generally unless you are planning on breeding and know when to introduce/remove the female, it's discouraged. But I could be wrong.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Do not get females. He will kill them or maybe (since they are just as agressive as males) one may kill him. Contrary to popular belief females cannot be kept together unless you have a very large tank. This also goes with males.

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
Actually Tonalea, you are completely correct.
Even the most docile combination of male/female bettas, with the exact correct stocking arrangements, and lots and lots of plants/hiding places, the females will die off one by one, until the male dies first. And if you are left with two females the smaller one will die. And then there will only be one left. Trust me on this one, do not do it. Even if the LFS people say that you can, and even if your tank is big, they WILL find each other. And when they find each other it is not pretty.
There are reports of people having successful male/female betta tanks, with just the right numbers (4+ females) to avoid bullying, in huge tanks. Initially there are no signs of aggression for 1 month or more, even. And then they kill each other. Out of the blue. For no reason at all.
So you will be spared a lot of heartbreak, trouble, worries, money and pain if you stick with 1 male.

abisheridee

fish noob!
Nov 21, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
Ok guys, thanks for the info, I'll get some other happy community fish instead.

Just wondering- my LFS keeps their female bettas all together in a tank with other fish- is this because they get snapped up quickly and won't have time to kill each other?

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
no, females CAN be put togther just females only tho. in a 10 gallon u can have 4 females maybe 5 dunno let the experts pin this

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store