Angels and Africans

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Indy

AC Members
Oct 2, 2003
Visit site
Read on another site about people keeping Angels and Africans together successfully. Site wouldn't let me log on, so I'll ask here. This seems to be a friendlier site anyway. Anyway:
1. Don't they have different PH levels or could you acclimatize them?
2. Different food requirments?
Maybe if you had Monos instead of regular Angels?
Would like to get something different added to my all male African tank.
Thanks for any responses.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I've kept a julie and angels together without any aggression between the two, but my water was on the edge for both species (ph 7.8, hardness 10). I wouldn't recommend doing it though, I think it was just pure luck I didn't have any problems. The julie is also a lot less aggressive, IMO, than most other Tangs and deffinately less aggressive them most Malawi.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
the africans you might be hearing people talk about keeping with their angels are probably kribs(Pelvicachromis pulcher) and other west african fish(dont know what other ones aren't too aggresive).

Africans from teh rif lakes definately won't work long tern. They are too aggresive and prone to fin nipping(not a good thing when it comes to angels).

Also monos arne't a good choice as i believe they are brackish and fairly shy(correct me if i'm wroung).

When it come to africnas i think it is better to jsut stick with the fish that come form teh lake you choose. There are some cool rift lake synodontis to choose from.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Originally posted by valerie

Also monos arne't a good choice as i believe they are brackish and fairly shy(correct me if i'm wroung).
Right, the monos start out fresh, probably do best in a slightly brackish environment but as they grow, they'll need more and more salt. Ultimately, they optimally need a full salt environment when they are full grown. I always loved these fish but the work needed during their growth is a lot more than I have time for while still maintaining my other tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store