SeaChem's ParaGuard. Useful or Unuseful?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
What is your opinion on it? Let's discuss. :)

:goldfish:

-Will

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
The question is a little confusing, however, Paraguard is a medicine, so in that respect it is certainly useful. I don't think I'd just starting treating every fish that comes in with Paraguard, but certainly it'd be a great multi-medicine for quarantine tanks. Some people probably treat all new fish, but that seems a little wasteful to me. The reviews out there are positive, and Seachem doesn't sell junk, so I'm sure it's a good product.

Just like any medicine, it has its uses.

It's probably a little pricier than your standard ich treatment, but since it's a multi use thing, it's probably nice for when you don't fully know what's wrong.

So I guess I'm answering your question in two parts: Part 1: Medicines are useful and Part 2: Seachem makes good products and the reviews for this specific product are positive.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Thanks for your opinion and being informative, jmhart. I agree with you that it's a great multi-med for fish that are sick in general. I bought a small bottle and I'm using it for my 5gal.. 2.5>5ml :)

ChiaJesus

Aquatic Metalhead
May 20, 2008
Regina, Canada
www.riderfans.com
I use it in my bare bottom quarantine tank. I don't recommend using it in a show tank, however, as the malachite green tends to stain decorations, porous rocks, etc.

Works good as a treatment for ich too, but as the previous poster mentioned, it's expensive for that.

foolishfish

Registered Fish Offender
Dec 10, 2008
Where the wild things are
Use it as a dip on new incoming with good results. Instructions for one hour dip are on the bottle.

delgriffth

Registered Member
Aug 17, 2010
Ive used it to treat ich in a planted tank with shrimp rcs and nerites. no damage to inverts or plants. used at recommended dose as well. paraguard breaks down after 24 hours so dose daily. i upped my temp to 82f to speed up ich cycle and added aeration. i stopped dosing 5 days after last spot. the plants in my tank at the time were anacharis,corkscrew val, moneywort, wisteria, and a couple red rubin swords. nothing too sensitive. ive used it in the past for fungal infections as well. the best medication ive ever used for any external ailment. i tried heat and salt for ich at first but didnt have much success. the plants didnt like the salt obviously. i does 1 tbs per 10 gallons and the red rubins, val, anacharis began to melt. this didnt happen with a slight temp rise and paraguard. also didnt stain silicone or anything else in tank.

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I used ParaGuard to successfully knock back an ich infection in my main planted tank. My procedure and experience were very similar to Delgriffth. My choice in medication was because I'd gotten the impression it would be safer for my weather loaches. They survived without incident.

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
I use Paraguard in my QT tank when I buy new fish. I never heard bad things about Seachem products.

sinner41265

AC Members
Jun 20, 2008
North Carolina
Real Name
Barry
I've used it once on a stubborn ich infection. It really worked well, and even though it's pretty blue when you're measuring it out, it hardly alters the water color.

I haven't tried using it in a quarantine tank, but I'm sure it would do well.

As others have said, SeaChem makes excellent products, and ParaGuard is no exception.

Highly recommended !!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store