SUNSUN HW-302 Outside Filter setup & test

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
In a recent thread I posted I had bought one of these filters because the price was right $44 and the basket surface area looked huge for an inline basket style filter. The item arrived in 4 days via UPS over packed in a standard shipping box, nice for those that want to protect and keep the original box.

The outside of the item box is written in English with nice colorful picture diagrams of what it is and how to assemble it. The inside of the box comes neatly and professionally packed like other higher priced filters with all hoses loose parts, and accessories separately packed in their own bags and box.

What is immediately noticed is the lack of any instruction manual except for the diagrams outside the box and the net address for SUNSUN there is nothing else. But as canister filters go if you have owned one before, this one is about as simple as they get.

The first thing I did was inspect the part quality which frankly surprised me to be good. The hoses are large at ¾ inch and made thick to resist collapse. The plastic fasteners and spray bar were more ridged and stronger then I expected and the impeller was rather large, as large as some impellers in 50 Watt pond pumps. But since the motor wattage that pushes this one only 17 watts, it will not be pushing as hard or spinning as fast.

Before assembly its important to lube every hose connection, every O-ring, and every swivel, and the “quick disconnect hose valve, including the valve port sockets, swivels and disconnect lever. Lubricating these parts thoroughly with Vaseline and working them in will insure easy function without braking or leaking. The impeller, impeller shaft, and impeller housing should be so lubricated that you can run plug it in and run it dry for a few moments. It should run like its in water no chatter.

After lubing assemble all the canister parts which connect and go together easily and can be easily taken apart of adjustment is necessary. No binding, no braking, no overstressed parts that leak.

The top lid motor and 3 basket canister design is pretty typical of your more popular and expensive name brand model designs, The only noticeable difference are the 3 oversized media baskets which are much larger then my Fluval 404/405 canister baskets. Important because a larger surface area footprint means less effort and GPH needed to the filtering job.

Note the hose size compared to battery for scale

Both in and out end piping come with two size length suction cups

One of three super-size interlocking canister baskets each with its own expanding handle to remove media.

Canister size dwarfs most others in its class

Using the bathroom sink as a test aquarium discovered that the canister can easily be primed empty installing only the return hose under water and the out flow hose out of the water. Failure to do it this way and the hand pump will remain air locked and you can pump forever with no results. But do it the correct way as mentioned above and 3 to 4 pumps send water free siphoning into the canister in no time. After the canister fills itself simply plug it in and it will start to run slowly discharging the remaining air. You can expedite purging the remaining air by giving a few more hand pumps while the canister is running.

Seemingly running silently I decided to do a head pressure test holding the outflow hose as height as possible at 7feet above the canister the water flow diminished by 2/3rds but never stopped working, at 5 feet the flow was strong and steady.

I decided also to do a GPH test since most canisters are overrated by 1/3 to ½ their true operating GPH. Using 2 5 gallon water bottles and a stop watch I observed the emptying of one bottle and the filling of the second. With the ¾ hoses with not necked down end fittings of ½” the average GPH was 165 GPH. With the small ½” end fittings attached the GPH average was 150 GPH.

This is the same GPH measures in the XP4, the Fluval 405, and allot of the Ehiem 100 gallon models. In fact about 10-15 GPH better. Many people don’t realize how fast 150 GPH is, but it is fast enough that most faucet and outside hose bibs with restrictors removed, cannot flow out fast enough to keep up with them as they are about 120 GPH.

So I have yet to hook it up to an aquarium for the practical assembly and test but will be posting those results as soon as the have installed it.

THE END... for now

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Wow. :thumbsup: Great thread! It looks very much like the Marineland I paid way more for. I'm gonna love to see how it operates in your tank. So far so good!

bored4

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
Michigan
How do the baskets fit in the canister? do they fit tight up against the wall or is there room between the basket and the wall of the canister.

I have the cascade 1500 and there's room between the baskets and the outer wall of the canister. i feel like that's a huge design flaw, even tho the baskets are some what interlocking there's still a lot of room for bypass.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Where did you buy it?
In one of my privious very post I linked exactly where they are being sold on Ebay, also if you do a search on ebay for SUNSUN filter you will land right on it.

IMO a filter that can maintain 150-180 true and actual GPH is excellent for 55 gallons and satisfactory for 120 gallons. However I don't know if this canister is capable of that yet, I know my Fluval 404 with 405 parts is not for anything larger then 60 gallons. I also know my Magnum 350 are very capable tested empty at 200 GPH and able to maintain 180 indefinitely. I ran my 120 tank using just 1 Magnum 350 for months clean and clear. But I like overkill so now it has its own FX5 which keeps it so crystal clear at a sustained true 380-400 GPH.

So to answer your question what size tank its great at sustaining, I don't know yet.

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
That's thing has got to weigh a ton when it's filled with water. Will be a pain in the butt to pull and clean. Also noticed there was no handle on the top. That would be a definite mark in the negative category for me. Did it come with any type of media? All I saw in the pics was that white filter pad.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
How do the baskets fit in the canister? do they fit tight up against the wall or is there room between the basket and the wall of the canister.

I have the cascade 1500 and there's room between the baskets and the outer wall of the canister. i feel like that's a huge design flaw, even tho the baskets are some what interlocking there's still a lot of room for bypass.
The canister is geometric so the baskets actually fit very snug against the wall of the canister in any of 4 positions compared to lets say my Fluval 404 which only go in 1 way and have a 1/16 gap all the way around, the SUNSUN have no gap at all.

However the because of the locking lid which can only go on 2 ways to match up the 4 clamp handles, 2 which are lever clamps and pull the lid up and down off its O-ring locking it in place, and 2 at the opposite ends which are over locking clamps to ensure the lid remains shut.

So the lid can only go one two ways, the baskets also can only be inserted 2 ways, each basket interlocking one on top of the other (basket and return flow tubes) snugly. Finally the top basket and return flow tube interlocking snugly with the top canister lid return tube.

I verified fitted return flow tube by placing a piece of aluminum foil over the top basket tube to see how far and how tight the canister lid seals over the return flow tube when the lid is placed on and it was very snug, so much so when the lid was removed it lifted out the top basket and creased the aluminum foil to about 1/2" of overlap.

Each basket is universal and can fit in any order and has a collapsing handle which slips down out of the way but needed to pull each snug fitting basket out separately. A thin film of Vaseline on the canister basket sides makes snug install easy rather then tight as there are no gaps.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store