Pregnant zebra loach?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RhondaAnn

AC Members
Feb 4, 2009
One of my zebra loaches is getting a huge belly. I had a bronze corydora look like this and soon after found eggs in the tank. I believe it's carrying eggs but my husband insists they cannot breed in captivity. Thought I would ask the experts.

RhondaAnn

AC Members
Feb 4, 2009
It's in a 90 gallon tank with other zebras. I haven't seen it poop. My husband thinks it's a blockage but it's still eating and behaving the same.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Your loach looks pretty small for it to be eggs to me & the bulge too localized. Could be overeating. Do they eat veggies for you? You might try peas, squish out the "guts" of cooked frozen peas & cut back on feeding for a bit.

My zeebs are slow growers & are only ~2.5 inches at most after 3 years but none looks to fill with eggs like the sids do. The female sids looked like stuffed sausages with dark bellies. AFAIK striatas haven't bred in tanks, & I've only read of sids breeding once.

RhondaAnn

AC Members
Feb 4, 2009
They eat everything the bigger fish don't get and that's likely too much. I haven't fed anyone veggies since summer... Can't get any of my fish to eat the peas, but will gorge on zucchini. I will cut back on feeding & get some frozen veggies. Thanks for your guys' help.

Jeremy Smith

Lizard loachnut
May 18, 2006
ma
I would lean to over eating. Dose the this one seem to be the more dominate over the others, if that is the case that would make over eating even more likely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store