150 Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
I'm in the process of cycling a 150. These is what I'm planning. The tank has alot of caves for hiding places. If I'm off base or okay please let me know.

Planned stocking:
1 Jack Dempsey
2 Fire mouths (1 male & 1 female)
2 Convicts (1 male & 1 female)
4 Jewel Cichlids (1 male & 3 female)
10 Rainbows
1 Pleco

I'm not sure of what bottom dwellers. Maybe some kind of Loach?
Any help will be appreciated.

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
I'm no expert, but I currently own a Jack Dempsey, and have owned jewels and firemouths in the past. From the sound of your tank, IF YOU DO get peace between all the fish, it's going to be an intricately knit system of territories. All the cichlids you named either are pretty territorial or generally loners. Not that it matters, but the Jewels are the only thing that doesn't fit into the central/south american theme. BTW, I hope you aren't planning to do this in one of those 4x2x2 foot 150 gallon aquariums. That's just not a large enough footprint for their territories. The convicts alone will own most of this area when breeding!

vfrex

AC Members
Feb 26, 2002
New Jersey
I think you'd be all right except for 1 thing. (assuming you have a 6 foot tank) - if the jewels form a breeding pair, they would probably get nastier than the convicts.

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
I have kept all of those fish. The tank will probally work, but I would scrap the jewels.

JDs are really more placid than people think. However, I must admit I have seen some NASTY 10" solo males! Haha. Convict aggression is over rated too. Should be okay.

But boy, a pair of Jags would look sharp ;)

~ttl

Just a note:
A 4x2x2 tank is 120. They are great for Reefs. My buddy has an amazing reef tank that size.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
What I'm really wanting to do is base this tank around the JD and the Firemouth. I'm just trying to get the right combo.

The tank is 24"x48"x30".

The jewels are off the list. So the stocking should work?

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Yes, definatly.

150s are great tanks. The rainbows will look nice. What type are you planning on getting?

I would stick with a smaller pleco. One that will get about 8-10" max. Once you start keeping the monser 14"+, the poop gets out of control.

GL
ttl

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
tuthelimit ,
I have four right now in another tank. They will be going in there. The store called them 8-line racers. They have the silver body with a few red and black stripes. The finnage is red. Really colorful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store