Ick Problem please help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Faeleigh

Ruler of The Tank
Dec 17, 2009
Colorado
faeleigh.tumblr.com
Real Name
Sarah
Ok, so my black moor has Ick. I went to the pet shop today and bought a 2 ounce bottle of Jungle Ick Guard, what they recomended I get. The bottle says 5ml for every 10 gallon. I have a 29 gallon so I put slightly less than 15ml in the tank. The instructions say to remove carbon filter so I did. Im just gonna put a new one in cause its like 3 days away from needing to be replaced anyway. I also changed 5 gallons of water and sucked out some junk from the gravel before I treated it.

My Questions are these:

When do I put the filter back in?
When will the water be clear again?
How long does it take to clear the ick?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Ohmygoodness! I would advise against using those kind of meds completely without trying salt first! Salt is your best option for treatment. Whether it is table salt or aquarium salt, whether it is iodized or not, it doesn't matter as long as it is sodium chloride. In this course, you will not need to remove your carbon nor worry about biological filtration.

Here are some basic steps to administering salt carefully.
1. Add a teaspoon per gallon. Be sure to dissolve salt thoroughly or at least, most of it. Increase temperature to at least 80 degrees Fahrenheit and make sure there is plenty of aeration to prevent oxygen depletion.
2. Repeat step 1 after 12 hours if fish appear to tolerate it well so far.
3. Repeat step 2. Follow same time interval.

This should sum up to 3 teaspoons per gallon (0.3%) total. Harmless to goldfish but lethal to ich. Remember that when you do a water change, you still need to redose salt per the water volume replaced. I'd get the carbon back there and remove the Jungle Ick Guard. Salt is less stressful compared to chemical-based meds.

If you have other fish contaminated with the infected one, I'd treat all of them with salt similarly.

Faeleigh

Ruler of The Tank
Dec 17, 2009
Colorado
faeleigh.tumblr.com
Real Name
Sarah
I did it for about a month, Had the water stay between 78 and 82. I have 2 filters in the tank an undergravel one and a carbon one that hangs on the outside. I was doing 2 teaspoons per gallon and changing a gallon of water everyday and and 5 gallons at the end of every week, replacing the salt as I did this.

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Oh, sorry oops, well first off you should continue with medication for aboutttt 2 1/2 weeks I would say. The original ich may be goon in a couple of days but I beleive the ich lays eggs in your fish so it is important to continue meds until ALL ich is gone (about 2 weeks). Now you can put the filter back in and if you continue with your filtration and water change schedule then the water will clear up by itself. With the lack of filtration during meds make sure to do lots of water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store