Yellow Lab question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abovethestorm

AC Members
Aug 20, 2008
hey guys I have a quick question. Tomorrow I am trading two of my large oscars for some yellow lab fry. I have never kept Africans at all so I am looking forward to the change of pace. Anyway I would like to maybe set them up and see if I can get some fry later on down the road. The person has asked me how many I want in trade. So my question is how many should I get? For now they will be in a 29g but they will end up in my 75g in case you are wondering.

Thanks for your help

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Mbuna, which is what yellow labs are, are harem breeders. The 29 will not be large enough for long, but I would go with 8 or so and once they get a bit larger determine males from females and keep 1 male to 3-4 females. They are sexually mature at about 3".

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
I just got rid of my yellow lab breeding group (got over run with fry). Still have two tanks of fry that I can't get rid of.

I had them in a 55 gallon tank (4-foot) and had, approx. 2 males and five/six females. Did have a male maingano in the mix too. Had a handful of juvies growing out in there too.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I agree with Snoopy.. Nice fish selection for a trade off on Oscars aye..

abovethestorm

AC Members
Aug 20, 2008
I honestly hate to see my Oscars go. But I have four of them and none of them get a long. I am keeping my two I have raised from fry.

So are Yellow Labs as bad as convicts when it comes to over populating? Maybe ill have some home grown feeders for my Oscars later on then. :)

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
You can always send them to me i have some Exochochromis Anageny's that naturally predate on Mbuna in the lake.. :Angel:

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
From my perspective, all I can say is mine eat their own fry when they can get away with it. I usually end up having to strip them if I want to raise some for sale.

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
You can always send them to me i have some Exochochromis Anageny's that naturally predate on Mbuna in the lake.. :Angel:
How would you like about 40 yellow lab fry? It was just cost you shipping.

I may be giving up on them soon if I don't sell anymore. I might just medicate/QT my yellow lab fry tanks and use them as feeders for my wc kaps.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Cool they would love the extra food.. :Angel: Yep its what i would do aye plus you are not over ran with fish..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store