Sewellia lineolata!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
I recently found a Sewellia lineolata!! I was so excited I bought it on the spot! And then I realized, I don't have an environment that is as high flow and oxygenated as he wants...
. Has anyone else successfly kept one of these in a lower flow environment? I might have to set him up a new tank, I'm not letting him go away from me!! Also worth being noted: There is a SECTION of the tank he is in now with a high flow level, do you think that is good enough? All other requirements are met.

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
Having failed before with hillstream loaches in a community tank, a dedicated hillstream biotype tank is on my to-do list. It's my understanding that in addition to the flow and oxygen levels they also like cooler temps and exceptionally good water quality.

Sorry I don't have more pertinant first hand experience but I'm sure others will. Congrats on locating this beauty, and good luck.

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
My water quality is pretty good, I do 3 gallon water changes every day and it's a 20 gallon tank. That would be a really cool biotope! If I get the chance I'll set one up too.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I have 10 of these little kamikazes that I got from Brian at Brians Tropicals more than a year ago. In the time that I have had them, they have spawned for me once (that I know of). Only 2 survived as I was unaware of the spawn, and the rest were probably eaten or got sucked into the filter. I keep them in my 46BF oddball community tank. The temp is 80°, and all I have for flow is the 2 filters, an AC 70 and an Emperor 400 (that has since been replaced by another AC 70). There are lots of live plants, caves (there are plecos in the tank, too), and driftwood. I feed them fresh zucchini about every 3 days (well, it's not just for them. The L104s like it, as do the SAEs ottos and farlos). And I never clean the back glass so there is always plenty of algae for them. Everything you read says they like cool water and lots of flow, but I would say mine have adapted pretty well. Give 'em a try. They are great entertainment. Good luck.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Don't ja just love to watch their little hearts beating ?!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I have heard of people keeping them in regular tanks. I know that specialized river tanks are IDEAL, but honestly, I don't think any of us keep our fish in ideal settings. Ideally, they would all have constant overturn of fresh water, nearly limitless space, etc etc.
As long as the temp is low, and you keep the flow as high as you can, I think you'll be fine. I would put in a rock or piece of driftwood right in the high flow zone, so he can camp out there. Also, you could add another bubbler to the tank.
Good luck! These are lovely little fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store