ebay skimmers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I'll be honest in that you don't need to waste your money on a Visi-Jet skimmer. They, like their Seaclone (the unmodded, stock version) counterparts, are a terrible skimmer. Save your money and look into the Reef Octopus hang-on models for good bang for your buck.

Last edited:

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
I agree. Get a good quality skimmer. Coralife skimmers, vortex are great skimmers and can be had cheap. I have had both and they did great, never had an issue with them.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
I'll be honest in that you don't need to waste your money on a Visi-Jet skimmer. They, like their Seaclone (the unmodded, stock version) counterparts, are a terrible skimmer. Save your money and look into the Reef Octopus hang-on models for good bang for your buck.

+1 on the octopus hang-on.

I got one of these last week, and it's a work horse! It's quiet, makes great microbubbles which in turn creates lots of brown sludge... It's extremely easy to setup. It also comes with a surface skimmer adapter, and a small slot (which looks like a bubble trap) that can be used as a media reactor.

Best part, it isn't pricey (when compared to other units). They have a few different models. Worth checking out.

http://www.reefspecialty.com/images/BH100.jpg

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
So, I was so excited to post a picture I didn't talk about the skimmer.

First off, the "reviews" I have read on build quality are definitely over exaggerated. Some people say it is almost as good as a Bubble King in quality.. I will say this about it, NO WAY is it comparable in quality to a Bubble King, not that I expected it to be either though, but the hype on the net will make you think otherwise.

As far as functionality, A+ in my book so far. It is by far the quietest skimmer I have ever seen and not heard.. literally silent. My remora skimmer which is inside my stand and behind closed doors I can hear over the Bubble Magus skimmer, and my ear is ON the Bubble Magus skimmer, it is that quiet. Bubbles seem good and skimmer started working 5 minutes after plugging in. Started working immediately but first sign of any skimmate came about 5 minutes after running. Again though, the Bubble King skimmers seem to have more bubbles, bigger chambers, and more uniform. The bubble plate in this skimmer leaves room for upgrades IMO, but it seems that anyone can make a replacement bubble plate at home to practice trying to make a better one, which I have seen a few people on RC already attempting to do.

So.. my initial review of the skimmer:
Build Quality: 6
Functionality: 8
Durability: ?
Pump: 3
Cost: 9

Overall: 7 out of 10. Replacing the pump with a better quality one would bump it up to an 8 and replacing the bubble plate with a better one would raise it up to a 9/10 on my scale, but standard out of the box I give it 7 out of 10 because it is a good skimmer for the price ($250).

Just to give some frame of reference, I am replacing a AquaC HOB Remora skimmer with this one and this skimmer has pulled out in 1 hour the same amount it is taking 1 week for my Remora to pull out, although my Remora is failing and the reason I bought a new skimmer. It used to work a lot better a couple years ago when it was new. I used to be able to fill the cup on the Remora daily when it was new, and that was with the cup at the highest position, now it is at its lowest position and I can let it go 1 month and it won't even fill the collection cup 1/2 way anymore.

camaro2ner

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Ok, Christmas kinda took my money so im looking for a decent brand for around $100 +/- $30

is a Eshopps a good brand?

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
They are not what I would consider to be particularly good, at least not in my experience. They worked a bit, but not enough to justify the price when for ~$150 more, you can get a much, much better skimmer. My suggestion is to save up to get a decent one instead of spending the money on a poorly made one. You'll likely end up upgrading it later, anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store