To make sure Corys get their share of food?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
I use NLS sinking pellets and am not sure if my corys get their share. It seems other middle & top dwellers snatch all the pellets.

If you keep corys with other fish, how do you make sure corys eat?

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
Hm, my cories are pigs. :lol: I feed mine sinking algae wafers (Hikari or Top Fin). Not sure how big yours are, but these ones, as long as they get soaked (which happens in a few seconds) drop right away.

Can you feed the top dwellers first, so they're distracted, and then drop in some wafers? You can also feed veggies like cucumbers or zucchini. IME, the top dwellers may eat some, but the cories like it a lot more. Or snail jello, they like that too.

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
My 3 peppered corys are small (< 1 inch) and don't seem to be able to locate food quickly. When I drop pellets, they start to dig more intensely, but it takes time for them to get to the food.

BTW, I didn't know corys would eat cucumbers!

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Corys love veggies. You can also feed after the lights are out or pick a spot out of the way where the corys hang out and stick your hand with the food all the way on the bottom. I have a terra cotta dish in my plants where I always put food for my corys.

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
Feed a variety of food, not just 1 kind. Also veggies rubberbanded to a rock are always good snacking for Corys.

JimmyTheDriver

AC Members
Dec 13, 2009
How long do you normally leave the algea waffers in there? I normally drop one in for about 2 hours then remove. They are typically half way through it. Futher, should it be done daily?

I tried to only use a half waffer, but then there was not enough surface area for all 6 peppered cories to get some!

-Jimmy

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I prefer sinking bottom feeder pellets to algae wafers. Algae wafers are very messy. If you are having to remove it after a few hours, try breaking the wafers into quarters and dropping them around the tank instead and feed less.

I ensure my bottom feeders are getting enough food by feeding the other fish then ddropping in pellets at lights out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store