1,200-Plus Venomous Catfish Species Uncovered

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2005
VA-DC-MD
http://beta.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/12/091217-venomous-catfish-toxic-poisonous/

1,200-Plus Venomous Catfish Species Uncovered

Main Content

Collected from a Michigan river, a member of the venomous northern Madtom catfish species rests in an aquarium in an undated photo.

Maggie Koerth-Baker
for National Geographic News
December 17, 2009
Nature hasn't left the catfish declawed, so to speak.

Some catfish species have been known to be venomous—including a few dangerous enough to kill a human. But scientists knew little about how common venomous catfish are or how the fish produce and deliver their venom.

Turns out, the ability is more widespread than anyone realized—extending to about half of the more than 3,000 known catfish species, according to a new report.

(Related: "All Octopuses Are Venomous, Study Says.")

For the study, biologist Jeremy Wright studied the venom and microscopic tissue structures of 158 catfish species. Based on known relationships among those species, the University of Michigan graduate student concluded that at least 1,250 to 1,625 catfish species are likely venomous.

The explosion in known venomous catfish species, however, doesn't mean you have anything to fear, even if you're an inveterate noodler—especially in North America.

The toxic catfish of North America have relatively mild venom, which in humans would cause about the same amount of pain as a bee sting, Wright said. Some species, including the popular flathead catfish, aren't poisonous at all.

Furthermore, catfish venom is "strictly defensive," Wright said. "They don't use it to hunt."

Spine-Popping, Gland-Ripping Defense

When a catfish feels threatened by a bigger fish, it can pop out the collapsible spines that usually lie close to its sides, making its body wider and harder to swallow.

If the predator bites anyway, the sharp spines cut into its mouth. Meanwhile, pressure on the spines causes them to shift at their bases, ripping the skin over adjacent venom glands. Venom spills out and into the predator's mouth wounds.

In some North American catfish species, venom may have evolved to protect the fish when they're young and at their most vulnerable.

"The venom glands appear to get smaller as the fish gets bigger and bigger," Wright said. "In some of the catfish species that can reach adult sizes of 60 to 80 pounds [27 to 36 kilograms] or larger, there's no evidence of remaining venom glands at all."

Findings published December 4 in the journal BMC Evolutionary Biology.

andyjs

AC Members
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
Had no idea that many species were venomous, but I've personally experienced at least 3 with quite different effects.
For example, a stone cat (NA native) caused me fairly intense, but concentrated pain (just in the two fingers that were stung) for only a few minutes. On the other hand, when I got stung by a lima shovelnose, it wasn't particularly bad, but lasted for quite a while (2-3 hours maybe) and spread up to my shoulder

CatsMeowww

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Chicagoland
How interesting! Nature provides endless wonders. God knew how to keep us occupied!

swinneyw

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
i'm not supprised i catch a lot of blue cats in a lake here in north texas and when i'm cleaning them my hands start to sting a lot i've told my fishing buddies about it and it don't happen to them

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Certain things make a little more sense now with that article. Having been cut or spiked by some of the cats we have here, I noticed how it almost always has a burning sensation. It usually left the area red and tender for a day. Never occurred to me that it was a minor venom.

I think your sensitivity to it like any other venom could pose a health risk for some people.

andyjs

AC Members
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
I think your sensitivity to it like any other venom could pose a health risk for some people.
You're probably right. If someone is allergic to bee stings for example, they probably want to be very careful with catfish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store