Help ID illness - black molly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
She almost looks pineconed, but only one one portion of one side of her body. I'm not sure what causes this and how to treat? I have her isolated in the hospital tank. I've got aquarium salt in there (2 tablespoons - 10 gallons of water), but have not treated with anything else. I added the aquarium salt mostly because I had already put the same amount in the big tank and did not want to shock her when moving her from the other tank, so I figured the same amount of salt would be a good idea.

What to do next though?

Pics attached - the first is of her left side, which appears to be perfectly fine. The rest are of her right side, which are definitely not fine, but I am not sure what it is, or what to do about it.

Help?

January 2010 022.jpg January 2010 027.jpg January 2010 029.jpg January 2010 031.jpg January 2010 040.jpg

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Are pH, NH3, NO2 w/i acceptable range? Can you post?

Infected areas getting larger? What kind of med do you have?

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Ph has remained steady around 7.8 (yes, I know high but it has always been high, and these guys were drip acclimated, so no big shocks)

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 (new water - used dechlor), and it's got a cycled filter on it (I keep it cycled by running it on my 46 gal tank when it is not needed for the hospital tank). It's an Aqauclear HOB, meant to filter tanks up to 20 gal I believe.

Nothing in the tank but this fish and a string of hornwort that came along on the net from the 75 gal that she was in.

I have no meds on hand, so need to know what to purchase.

So far I have not noticed it getting larger. I just noticed the spot last night, and as of today it was not any better, so I moved her to the hospital tank once I set that up after work.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Are there any behavioral symptoms besides the physical one? Swimming oddly, gasping at the top of the water, not eating, trying to scratch on things? How long ago did this patch develop, did it start small and expand or show up as it is all at once? What other stock is in the tank she was in, are any of them showing problems and has anything been added lately, say in the last month or two? Not just livestock--have you added or changed any physical elements in the tank, the filter, plants, rocks, anything? Any changes to maintenance habits, additives, water change schedule? How old is the molly, do you know? She looks like a fine specimen except for The Problem. How recently did she give birth?

Taking a look here at Badman/Pandora's page the only thing that mentions "pineconing" is dropsy, unfortunately. Only treatment is improving any flaws in water quality, particularly ammonia related.

Your hospital tank looks newly set up, from the bubbles all over everything so presuming it was non-or de-chlorinated properly it wouldn't seem like that could be a factor any more. The only thing I can think of to suggest is upping the salt from the "normal" level she was used to to a "therapeutic" level.

best of luck to yer fishie...

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
No behavior symptoms. Just the patch. It came on all at once from what I could see.

The only other stock in the tank are the mollies she was added to the tank with last week. They all appear to be healthy. These are new fish in my 75 gal setup. The tank is cycled (fishless cycle), and they are the first additions.

The plants, etc were all there prior to the fish being added. I have tested the water daily since adding the fish - no spikes in any of the parameters, and nitrates have stayed below 10. She has not given birth since I picked her up. I believe she is prego and probably due in 2-3 weeks. I have no idea how old she is.

The hospital tank was set up today, water was added, dechlor added, filter added, heater added, salt added and then fish added, in that order. I waited until the temp of the hospital tank was the same as that of the main tank that she came from, and then added her so that there were no shock factors.

water is perfect at this point. I will add more salt and see how she does.

I am not sure what the water params were like prior to me bringing her home. She was in a tiny (maybe 30 gal) tank with a lot of fish (15-20 mollies and probably 10 diamond tetras) and one filter. I don't know if the filtration was decent or not - it was an HOB in an octagon tank.

Anyhow, the rest as I said seem to be healthy. I did have one other die of complications from dropping fry - she literally died as soon as she stopped dropping the fry, and she looked perfectly healthy pre-birth, so I am fairly certain that the death was a birth related one.

There has been zero ammonia since bringing them home, so I can't think that ammonia would be the issue, although if she were exposed to it prior to me taking her home, that could be a problem. I did drip acclimate, as I mentioned, just to be on the safe side, and all seemed well up until yesterday.

I'll keep an eye on her and add another two tablespoons of salt and see how things look.

Any other suggestions welcome. :)

Thanks.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Reading the descriptions on both of those do not make them sound like this disease. They're both symptomized by lethargy, clamped fins, cloudiness, etc. None of that is relevant with her at this point. I guess I will continue to watch and see how she does with the increased aquarium salt.

As of this morning she is still behaving normally, it still looks exactly the same. She begged for breakfast (and ate it quickly), so I am hoping she pulls through. I will check water parameters after work and will do a W/C if there is any sign of nitrates (or anything else).

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
The edging on the scales visible in the last picture certainly points to a protozoal condition of some kind. Salt may help (no need for "aquarium salt"; the table stuff is just fine). How hard is the water?

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Not sure on the water hardness. been so long since I've tested it specifically since I never had any issues with it. I'll check that when I get home today. And I already have aquarium salt at home, so may as well use it. Plus I've read that table salt is not the same thing, and don't want to introduce further problems... unless I'm just thinking of marine salt vs table salt, which I know is very different. Perhaps aquarium salt is more of a similar makeup to table salt and I've got my salts mixed up. I'll have to do some re-reading.

I talked to the LFS about it and they are supposed to be calling me back if they can come up with any further suggestions, plus they are checking their stock for any issues.

This morning she was fine, other than the spot, so I'm hoping she'll recover. She does not seem uncomfortable or otherwise symptomatic, but I know that can easily change. I have my fingers crossed that she will pull through. She's a beautiful molly, and I'd hate to lose her.

bubbles42151

AC Members
Jul 14, 2005
I say it's body fungus. Grab some PimaFix and MelaFix and follow the instructions on the label. I've used these in conjunction with any kind of salt treatment and got amazing results. Since it's an all-natural treatment, you don't have to worry about it staining your tank seams and causing your fish too much stress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store