DIY - LED Lighting using Xmas lights?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
I was browsing my local department store and I noticed a lot of the Christmas stuff 70-90% off. A lot of various items including Christmas lights for outdoors (50 LED bulb on a long string for 1.99!).

Has anyone ever considered buying multiple strings of LED Christmas lights and them punching them through a plastic sheet or plexiglass so they all aim downwards to use for aquarium lighting? I think it might work considering that these lights are made for outdoor use and can work in snow/rain/sleet, so I don't think water would be a factor. But I'm not sure how one would be able to measure the total watts used to figure out of it would be suited for low/med/high light tank.

I'm a newbie with LED's and how they work so maybe someone with expertise on LED's or electrical things can chime in with some input.

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
5mm and smaller (most common are 5 and 3 mm LEDs) do not have enough power to light a tank properly for plants. Even if you managed to get several hundred, the heat management with LEDs with that type of package don't generally last that long. Don't believe me? go look at Lowe's and their light display, They have one with 5mm LEDs that are really really dim cause they have been on for a long time.

High power LEDs such as the .5w and up can really last longer depending on how well you manage heat. But your still faced with actual penetration of the water. Par will be substandard with anything less than 3w LEDs such as Crees or Luxeon.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Yeah I think If I were to try and do a cost effective LED lighting setup I would look for automotive or off road motorcycle LED lighting arrays. I have seen quite a few on sale used in aftermarket brake and turn signals that are pretty bright, come in packaged waterproof arrays with reflectors and different color lenses and use common 12v DC which is a very common and low cost power supply to find. I would just gut a standard florescent tube housing and install them gorilla glue and a miniature 12V battery recharger.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
those are almost all 5mm to reduce costs. I know cause I work in a parts store. Just because they are bright now doesn't mean they will be bright a year down the road.
Ah almost, but Im not talking about almost. I m talking about still bright after 4 years and taking vibration and jump abuse on offroad trails.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
I use some as lunar lights, I simply drilled out some holes in my hood and poked the lights through. It does not exactly look pretty with wires on the top, but they do a great job as lunar lights.

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Thanks for the input guys. I was just thinking of possibly making a cheap light set up for a 10 gallon or something. I never considered the focusing apparatus or the longevity of the bulbs. I was thinking of just buying 1-2 extra light strips and just replace the bulbs as they go considering they were so cheap.

If I were to experiment with this idea to see if I can create a low or medium light set up, does anyone have any ideas to gauge the wattage output?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store