stocking ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Oct 22, 2009
buffalo
I am converting my 55 gallon fowlr to new 150 gallon fowlr.
i would like some ideas of what fish to keep

I currently have:
1 yellow tang
2 clowns
2 yellow tail damsels
(in 55 now might transfer all over or just some of them)

the yellow tang is 100% staying the other 4 are up in the air right now.
i like the butterfly , and angel species. triggers are cool but think could be to aggresive.

Gerber

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
El Segundo, Ca
I would keep the clowns but ditch the yellowtails, I would look into a school of Anthias or Wrasses, Maybe both. Also a mixture of tangs, naso blonde, powder blue...
You could have many sweet options.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Hey if you live near Philadelphia and ditch the yellow tails maybe i could have them? My 30 gal has 3 green chromis do you think they would be compatable. Also i would definitly keep the clowns.

Oct 22, 2009
buffalo
i like the idea of a few tangs. the blonde naso tang is one of my favs. i just didnt know if clowns will hold thier own in a tank with tangs, angels, and butterflys.

sorry i dont live by Philly,

Gerber

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
El Segundo, Ca
The clowns should be fine, they stay fairly close to their homes and dont wander too far off in the tank. As long as the other fish are well fed I see no problem at all.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Darn Oh well ill just need to get one from the fish store.

Oct 22, 2009
buffalo
ok thanks i think i will stick with the 2 clowns keep my yellow tang, and pick up the blonde naso tang. might stick wiht reef safe fish, never know i might get crazy and turn this into a reef tank someday and i would hate to get rid of fish.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I would actually stay away from Naso species. They get too large for even a 150g eventually. There are a good number of other tangs, like many Zebrasoma, Ctenochaetus species, blue tangs, etc. that are more suitable.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Personally, I would stay away from any more tangs in that size tank. I am sure a yellow will be super happy in a 150, but adding any more may be too much. If you do add another tang then I would go with Amphiprions advice, those would be the best options for your setup without question. I would focus on other types of fish instead of another tang.. angels, wrasses, blennies.. heck, even a Butterfly like you mentioned would be a better pick than a second tang IMO.

I wouldn't worry about your clowns.. they can hold their own against most other fish (and humans when they want to! My old Maroon clown used to bite me so hard it would draw blood).

Oct 22, 2009
buffalo
thanks for the advice. rather not buy something i have to trade in down the road due to size. i like the dwarf angels but most reviews say to stay away from placing species together. and i would like reef safe fish in case i ever convert the tank to a reef set up. really hard to decide

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store