Feeding Kuhli's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
I finally found some of these little guys! :naughty:

Just wondering what you all do in terms of feeding (ie. what do feed them / how do you feed the?) I tried tossing some algae wafers in there last night and they didn't seem interested in them.

I'm going to pick up some sinking pellets, but I'm a bit concerned that they'll get lost in my substrate (ada aquasoil...which looks a lot like pellets lol). I have some frozen food (brine shrimp) left over from when I had ADFs, but I don't want that to be the only thing I feed them

any suggestions are welcome. Thanks :thumbsup:

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
Try feeding them right when the lights go out. I try to put some wafers right where their hiding spots are, so the cories don't steal them all. If you feed anything that doesn't sink by itself, try spot feeding with a turkey baster. Again, works best if you know where they like to hide, if you can't see them. Some of mine are bold enough to fight the cories for food, some aren't.

Obsidius

AC Members
Mar 23, 2009
clb's got it right. I use flake food to distract my middle and top-feeders at one end of my tank, and drop sinking pellets in the other end (where they hide). The Corys will generally take their first dibs, but my kuhlis, after 3 months, are still around, so taking the sinking route isn't necessarily the be-all-end-all!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Mine eat almost any foods, sinking pellets, wafers, flakes, frozen. They don't seem as crazy about brine shrimp, shrimp pellets or veggies. My corys are shyer than the loaches & also willing to eat after dark

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
Should I worry about the food getting lost in the substrate though? These pellets are actually smaller than the aquasoil "pellets"

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Should I worry about the food getting lost in the substrate though? These pellets are actually smaller than the aquasoil "pellets"
I wouldn't worry too much. Kuhlis are really good at finding food in the crevaces. At least mine were!

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Yup, nothing to worry about, all the ideas above are good, but one thing I'll add is that mine love frozen bloodworms! They also enjoy small snails.

Obsidius

AC Members
Mar 23, 2009
Ohhhh, yes... if you find snails in your tank, chances are VERY good you can just leave them be; the Kuhlis will get at 'em sooner or later!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store