goldfish gulping air at the surface

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

imppy25rs

AC Members
Oct 3, 2009
a couple nights ago, I noticed one of my goldfish gulping at the surface for air for long periods of time. At first, I assumed my water parameters were off but I tested my water and everything is normal. The o2 in the water should be good with an airstone and HOB filter. Now its just this one goldfish that does this. But here's the kicker, he only seems to do this at night when the lights are off and I cannot find a reason why online. Anyone know what he's doing?

imppy25rs

AC Members
Oct 3, 2009
looks fine, swims normally, eats like a pig, not sluggish or anything, he's just gulping air at night.

Trigger1985

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
Arlington Heights, IL (near Chicago)
Is your tank planted or a green water tank? Lots on, plants produce o2, lights off, they actually suck it up, and can out compete your fish for o2, leaving them gasping at the surface. Either way, I'd try uping your surface agitation, using either mutiple or larger airstones and pumps, or directing your HOB outlet so it stirs up a lot of surface area if thats on option.

imppy25rs

AC Members
Oct 3, 2009
Yea I do have about 7-8 bunches of plants, some anacharis, anubias and java ferns. I'll try getting a larger airstone tomorrow and see how that goes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store