The Trap

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Anyone ever use this product before? I have a flashback basslet I wish to catch. I bought the trap today. It did not come with any directions. However, it appears to be a manually closing trap versus one which confuses the fish and lessens its chance of escape?

Am I correct in that I have to vigilantly watch until the fish I want to catch enters the trap and then I have to try to get the trap door to slide closed via the string attachment? If so, what a pain in the !&%. :thumbsdown:

Please advise

Last edited:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Exactly, you hook some fishing line to the trap door, put a little food in the trap, sit a few feet away from the tank with the line in your hand and let go when the fish you want enters the trap.. I agree, they suck. 2 liter bottle DIY trap works 10x better.. they go in but have a real hard time getting out and you have a little time to get the trap out with the fish. You still want to watch the tank with the 2 liter bottle trap though because the fish get really stressed out when trapped in a clear bottle.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Thanks for the confirmation. Although I remain disappointed.. I cannot see how this will be very effective, unless I have countless hours to stand vigilant. Ugh

Does it have to be a 2 liter bottle, due to the angle at the nozzle or can I use something smaller, 1 liter, 20 oz, etc?
:duh:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
It depends on the fish you want to catch.. but a basslet would probably need a 2 liter, you could try a 1 liter but I think it may come out a little small once you build it. Doesn't hurt to try and only takes a couple minutes to build.

How to make one:
1. Cut bottle at the top of the largest part, about 3/4 up, just before it starts to taper.
2. Rinse out and scrub bottle clean with clean sponge.
3. Cut off the very tip of the bottle under the lip, this is the hole you want to cut and make big enough for the fish to fit through.
4. Optional, I used a teflon frying pan and got it warm and melted the tip I just cut off to make it as smooth as possible so it doesn't cut the fish.
5. Take the tip, looks like a lid to a slurpee, and turn it inside out and place it back into the larger part of the bottle. Now it is similar to a lobster trap. I poked a few small holes in mine to let air out better when I submerged it, but when you take it out of the water it spills out the holes so you have to do it quickly and have a bucket ready to release the fish in.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Cool Ace, Thanks. Will try soon and let you know how it goes.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Got'em

Finally, after several weeks of trying, I caught this pugnacious little fella. :headbang2:

Here he is in "The Trap"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store