Type of Filtration

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DXJoe

Registered Member
Dec 27, 2009
I'm setting up my first marine tank. 60-120 gallons (fish only). Can I get away with a simple wet/dry or canister filter that meets or exceeds the respective tank size? Or do you suggest something else? I want to keep it as simple and clean as possible. Thanks for your help! :clap:

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Joe I assume is your name, WELCOME to AC Forums. Im sorry that your not getting much assistance in your possible first marine tank. But one thing is that there be a load of differences in cost froma 60 to having a 120 gal marine tank.

If anything, I will tell you this, canisters are OK for a limited amount of time for what best is having a sump and the best skimmer you can buy. And you said that your settting up your first tank, it not mean that its in your home as yet.

For people to best assist you, you must know the exact tank size you be having and you already said its a F/O tank. The large the better and again sometimes it better to not go so large if you never done this before, it might be something not for you, so if you never done even a freshwater tank, then not ruch into spending a crazy amount of money, a 60 gal tank is a good size and you can always upgrade in some later years when you see that your loving the hobby as all here aften do.

Buddy

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
For a fish only tank, usually the live rock will do the vast majority of the filtration for you as long as you put in around 1lb per gallon of live rock.

I think canister filters are "ok" in SW, but in order to make them even just "ok" you must do a lot of maintenance on them if you use them with the standard media they come with, ie 1-2x a week take them apart and rinse them out/clean them. If you don't, they can cause more problems than they help. Your $ would be better spent buying live rock and looking into a decent Hang on Back skimmer like a Reef Octopus model or a Warner Marine H1/H2 skimmer. If you already have a canister and just wanting to use it, you could just put things like Carbon and Phosphate remover media in the canister and it will help you out, but using the standard filters most canisters come with usually isn't a good idea for long term usage.

JMO. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store