Help with native WA fish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cole99v

SA Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2009
Tacoma
Anyone know where I could get some nice native fish to keep in Washington. Something larger like the SA cichlids or sunfish I keep I'm not sure what we have up here so anyone know where and what. Or even anyone who has a native fish aquarium or breeds them and might do some bartering. Id really like to get more. I've fallen in love with sunfish. Thanks:D

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I would check the rules of your Fish & Game department before you decide to order anything online. I'm guessing that there are many restricted species that can not be imported into Washington. I would also check google for any fish hatcheries in your state. That's probably your best bet at attaining native fish.

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
#1 My understanding is it is illegal to sell native fish in a pet store and I work in one.

#2 Here is your list of banned fish and other critters WDFW Aquatic Nuisance Species

#3 Get a fishing Licence and read the rules then good luck hunting.

If you want to be a purist there is some bad news:

"Before the late 1800s, the only resident freshwater
fish living in Washington State were trout (cutthroat and
rainbow), char (bull trout and Dolly Varden), nonanadromous
salmon (kokanee), whitefish, burbot,
northern pikeminnow, suckers and smaller fish generally
unimportant to anglers."

Now as far as keeping them they call the freshwater fish in Washington state Warm Water but in truth they will do better in an unheated tank. Guess they think it is warmer than the ocean.

Now for all the species that can be found sadly this is just the game fish I have had a killer time finding the non game fish list: WA Warm Water Fish.

I do know there are some sculpins that are native and a good place to start your search is NANFA

Here is their check list of all NA species

I know all of this because I want to setup a NA Native tank or 2 and I'm looking at the pygmy sunfishes myself and I also live in Washington.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
nice post.

definitely check with the state regarding keeping native species.

WDL has specific rules related to keeping fish especially game fish.

lol warm water..I guess it's relative but for all intensive purposes they are cold water species

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
nice post.

definitely check with the state regarding keeping native species.

WDL has specific rules related to keeping fish especially game fish.

lol warm water..I guess it's relative but for all intensive purposes they are cold water species
I know one of them is once you put them in an aquarium they can not be released again. Other than that as long as it is legally harvested I don't think there are any been awhile since I looked i will have to look again.

You will need to check to see what fish can and can not be collected.

thorpbrian

AC Members
Oct 7, 2009
La Center, WA
I had to laugh at "warm water fish". Guess whoever made that distinction has never been swimming in a Washington river...

Cole99v

SA Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2009
Tacoma
Well they don't have to be native to Washington either. I just like species of sunfish really i haven't looked at much else yet, and I'm not a purist and also concerning legalities I know you cant "buy or sell" them i work at a LFS too. Which is how i got the fish, and I dont care about any fish being illegal to keep its not gonna be an issue of anyone finding out I don't blab. So any other info, I'll definitely check local hatcheries I don't think I want salmon, little big :p. native American catfish, sunfish, perch. Thanks for the info and Sounguru thanks for the heads up, PM me if you have any more info I' getting really into the idea of NA aquarium. Im sort of flying blind since im just russhing into this. XD thanks again.

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
Check the NANFA forums there are guys on there that sell natives. Also you can go to almost any local lake and use a real small hook with a maggot and catch small sunfish.

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
If I remember minnow traps are illegal up here but crayfish traps aren't and if you are out fishing for crays which don't require a license and just happen to catch a small sunfish who would know....:D

Okay honestly I would turn you into the fish police in a heart beat....:hitting:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store