18 & 55 gallon planted build thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MySpace Mike

MySpace Mike Creative Media Founder
Jul 8, 2007
Denver, CO.
www.myspace.com
So now that I have started to buy alot of new equipment I wanted to do a thread solely dedicated to progress of the tanks. So here goes

18 gallon 20"x20"x12" submersible heater, Aquatech 10/15 power filter (will be changed to 2 Aquatech 20 power filters), glass canopy, basic lighting for right now as the new Nova Extreme 24" t5 won't be sent to me til 1/28/10, will be buying some driftwood Sunday for it, and DIY 2 liter bottle co2 system..

Will house
10 Neon Tetras
3 Peppered Cory Catfish
4 Nerite Snails
1 German Blue Ram (male)
3 Otto Algae Eaters

Plants
1 Amazon sword
2 Java Ferns
Java Moss (on drift wood)
Micro grass in the front
8 Italian Vals

55 Gallon common size, new Theo Hydor 300 watt heater, Jebao 912 4 stage Canister, Eheim 2213 Canister ( should be here next week), Whisper 60 power filter, glass canopies, 48" Nova Extreme t5 HO (will be shipped on 1/28/10), couple nice pieces of Driftwood will be bought Sunday for it. Will have two DIY 2 liter bottle co2 systems, 1 on each side of the tank.

Fish stocking
30 Rummynose Tetras
10 Peppered cory catfish
3 Black Veil Angel Fish
2 German Blue Rams (male/female)
2 SAE's
5 Nerite Snails

Plants
3 Amazon Swords
6 Java Ferns
Taiwan Moss on the driftwood pieces
2 Wort Plants
3 Aquatic Banana Plants
16 Corkscrew Vals
2 Cabomba Plants
Brazilian Sword Micro Grass along the front
and possibly a couple others as I check out the local stores.

As my lighting and stuff comes in I'll be sure to update with new pics, also it will be updated as I go along with planting, and stocking with fish. Will be using Seachem Flourish luiqid additive once a week in each tank. Hope you all enjoy ! ! !

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
please hold off on buying the ottos until it's a well established tank. Often time in new tanks, they die of starvation because they are not always accustomed and willing to take prepared food.

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
it's been 2 hours since he started the thread. what kind of update can there be?

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
please hold off on buying the ottos until it's a well established tank. Often time in new tanks, they die of starvation because they are not always accustomed and willing to take prepared food.
Agreed, that may be why I lost some otos when my 29g started leaking and I replaced it with a new 29g.

MySpace Mike

Jul 8, 2007
Denver, CO.
www.myspace.com
Yeah I wont be stocking the Ottos until March/April, I'm spending all next month slowly getting my plant stocking taken care of first before I buy any fish for the tanks. I only get $200 a month for disability from the state until I get approved for SSI. So it'll be a very slow stocking process lol.

I'm going today to get the Theo Hydor Heater for the 55 gallon, along with some Seachem Flourish since I have 2 Amazon Swords in the 55 gallon, and I'm trying to nurse my big Amazon Sword back to health since I got it in very bad shape I felt sorry for the plant, but it has been showing lots of new growth.

I also ordered 20lbs of eco-complete for the 18 gallon tank, and plan on just using the eco-complete as the only substrate since it's black and looks great.

Also emailed the driftwood guy to find out what time tomorrow works for him. So I will have an update with pics tonight for the heater, and hopefully tomorrow for the driftwood. I may hit a LFS today and see what they got in stock for plants or Moss. Also will be setting up my 55g DIY co2 tonight I'll be sure to get pics as I get it going :)

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
Yeah I wont be stocking the Ottos until March/April, I'm spending all next month slowly getting my plant stocking taken care of first before I buy any fish for the tanks. I only get $200 a month for disability from the state until I get approved for SSI. So it'll be a very slow stocking process lol.

I'm going today to get the Theo Hydor Heater for the 55 gallon, along with some Seachem Flourish since I have 2 Amazon Swords in the 55 gallon, and I'm trying to nurse my big Amazon Sword back to health since I got it in very bad shape I felt sorry for the plant, but it has been showing lots of new growth.

I also ordered 20lbs of eco-complete for the 18 gallon tank, and plan on just using the eco-complete as the only substrate since it's black and looks great.

Also emailed the driftwood guy to find out what time tomorrow works for him. So I will have an update with pics tonight for the heater, and hopefully tomorrow for the driftwood. I may hit a LFS today and see what they got in stock for plants or Moss. Also will be setting up my 55g DIY co2 tonight I'll be sure to get pics as I get it going :)
swords are root feeders so flourish isn't really gonna do a whole lot for them. get root tabs (check my for sale thread) ;) also have lots of plants for sale.

MySpace Mike

Jul 8, 2007
Denver, CO.
www.myspace.com
So here's an update for ya, I wnet and picked up a nice tall Onion Plant for the 55 gallon and a Anubias plant as well, couldnt help myself at the LFS and picked up 10 Neon Tetras, 2 Rummynose Tetras, and a gorgeous male German Blue Ram that will go into my 18 gallon when it's redone later this month, right now all the fish are being housed in my 55 gallon.

New Anubias Plant

New Onion Plant

10 Neon Tetras

2 Rummynose Tetras

Beautiful 3" German Blue Ram Male

Full Tank Shot

Tetras Schooling by the Anubias Plant

GBR hiding by Amazon Sword

Rummynose Tetras starting to regain their color

MySpace Mike

Jul 8, 2007
Denver, CO.
www.myspace.com
Also last night I decided to start on the DIY co2 system, and got it set up today. 2 liter bottle into a smaller bottle Incase any of the mix ends up into the tubes it'll be caught by the smaller bottle, then out to the tank. Used aquarium sealant on the tops of the bottles around the airline hosing to seal off any leaks.

What I'll be using

The idea of the setup

2 liter bottle with sugar water mixed, and the yeast mixed

Yeast starting to ferment

Setup finished and ready to hook up

Hooked up to the tank

Out put into the diffuser in the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store