Jewel Cichlid tank mates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
They are West African riverine cichlids and not Rift Lakes cichlids. So their habitat and water parameters needed are different. IMHO, they shouldn't be mixed with Malawi or Tanganyika cichlids.

colematthewmala

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Three Hills, Alberta, Canada
That's a toughie, jewels are known to be real hell raisers in an aquarium. May I recommend some really fast moving fish like zebra danios, these will also act as "dither fish" and therefore you will so your jewels more. It's just a suggestion I'm not an expert, I do know that people do keep zebra danios with cichlids though. :)

sweetlowride

AC Members
Nov 3, 2009
Kelowna B.C Canada
I have Yellow labs and Peacock Cichlids and was wondering if I could add a Jewel, I knew the water parameters are different 7.5-9.0 Malawi and 6.5-7.5 for the Jewels. I keep my tank at 7.9. Would the Jewel acclamate to the higher PH without harm?

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
I have Yellow labs and Peacock Cichlids and was wondering if I could add a Jewel, I knew the water parameters are different 7.5-9.0 Malawi and 6.5-7.5 for the Jewels. I keep my tank at 7.9. Would the Jewel acclamate to the higher PH without harm?
I would not risk the aggression from the jewels towards the others. Jewels are known for their wicked temperaments, I'd put them up against an auratus aggression wise, especially if you have a pair form and they start breeding.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Actually its more likely the jewel that will find it tough versus the rift lake species.

I keep a jewel with a mixed african tank - no issues. The Jewel was stocked as juvenile with the malawis when the tank was young. He's a very nice bright and healthy fish but definitely extremely non-dominant. I suspect introducing one later in life to an african tank of adults would over power the jewel. Mine is very well behaved i.e. he just doesn't get into fights (except with a male rusty) but probably having grown up in the hood so to speak is now too mental to introduce into a more classically stocked jewel set-up.

Ph in the tank is about 7.4 and hardness is average. The Ph won't be a problem but how long have your africans been stocked and what age are they ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store