33 Gallon Brackish tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I am thinking of doing a brackish tank. I already have a stand that can hold 33 long-60 gallons. I have a 55 gallon tank, but I don't really like the height of it. I am thinking of getting a 33 gallon long. That is the only other choice in this area. The 33 long with lid/lights is 113 dollars and the 55 gallon with lights is 100. I would think most brackish fish (especially dragon gobys) would do best in shallow tanks. I am thinking of getting a few archers, some guppies and moving my dragon goby to the tank and if I still have room some GSPs.

Anyways, does a 33 gallon tank sound okay for this?

ferrettim

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Columbia, SC
33 gallon long sounds like a good size for a brackish tank, but i don't think the tank is big enough for archers, and guppies aren't really brackish water fish.

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Yeah it looks like I will have to pass on the archers and GSP.

I did get the 33 gallon tank though.

And about the guppies, they are kept in freshwater tanks, but in nature they live in areas that get fresh and saltwater (brackish). I am thinking they might live longer and be healthier in brackish water.

Any suggestions on other brackish fish that would be peaceful and could live in a 33L?

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Ditto about the GSP alone.

I know that most mollies are bred in freshwater in captivity, but they are actually a brackish fish. Mine always seem to be much more healthy and longer lived in my brackish tank (1.006).

That would be a perfect tank for Celebes rainbows. I believe they are also called Celebes halfbeaks. The finnage is awesome, and the colors are very cool too. I had some for a while (got them with some other rehomed fish but weren't appropriate for mine so rehomed for the original owner), and they were so pretty. They had a kind of bluish iridescent strip going horizontally down their bodies and the fins were highlighted with yellow. They were mostly a bluish gray and translucent. The fins' shape was what really got me, very cool, especially on the male.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store