Best Anenome?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Looking for the best possible anemone to host my Picassos in and in either tank both my lighting set ups and water quality are sufficient enough. and although some people believe that a 14 gallon isnt big enough. it would only be the two clowns and the anem in the tank with no corals.. id rather do it in my 14gal.

ive done some research and have seen a very happy anem in a 5 galllon with SPS(which im not gonna risk)

so for a 14 gal tank thats been running for 9 months and has 150WATT MHs over it what is the best one to get.. not looking for color or crazyness just want a an anem with longer thick tenticles and prefrerably not a bubble tip

What ya think?

(this will happen until after my bigger tank is up and running)

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The only species I could even possibly recommend is E. quadricolor. Even then, there is the very real possibility that it may outgrow the tank (or crowd it out with clones). All the rest get much, much too large--big to the point of filling the entire bottom of your tank and part (or most) of all sides. You would literally have an anemone enveloping the tank.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I agree with Amph. The common name for the normal ones you fine are the Rose Bubble Tip and Green Bubble Tip anemone. I have known several people to successfully keep those alive in tanks 10G and smaller (one person has a Green and Rose in a 12G with 2 clowns, just gives away the clones when they split). It isn't something I would say would be recommended by many, but it is possible to do successfully.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
im gonna be stubborn on this one guys. my first ever idea was to get an anem and two clowns i dk why i like it so much but i really enjoy the way it looks. Rose tip it is, im sure i can find a smaller one in one of my LFS.

if it gets to big ill take it in and exchange it for a smaller one and always exchange the clones as well to keep everything to a smaller level.

the thing is my 2 clowns are getting bigger... and to the point where other people knotice it., they might end up having to go back into the big tank.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Here you go Conski.. that person I mentioned giving away anemones.. he gave me a Rose BTA tonight for free. :) I couldn't get my hand out of the tank fast enough after placing it before my clowns jumped in it. So now my 29G is complete for me, 1 GBTA and 1 RBTA and a few scatters zoas and palys and a neon green leather that I really don't care about. I just want this to be my clown/anemone tank. I am installing my old sump back on this tank this weekend to get all that nasty equipment out of the tank. Still can't complain for this tank being my completely "Free" tank just from leftovers from others tearing down tanks.. all my fish, rocks, sand, and corals were all free. Unfortunately, so was the hair algae.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Hey rub it in ;), always wanted to see your 20 gal.

once my cursed 34 gal gets back on track im gonna do the same thing, do you handle it with bear hands when putting it in? or how do you go about putting it in the tank from the bag haha i have never owned one

i love when clowns sleep in anems they can actually lay in them together... my clowns can only sleep next to their torch because it goes back in at night and only has like a half inch of its polyps out.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
It's a 29G tank actually. 30" long instead of 24" which is a normal 20G.

Ya, after drip acclimating it for a little bit I just scoop it out of the bag with my hand and quickly turn my hand upside down in the tank to cup the anemone over the top of it while its foot grabs onto a rock.. usually takes just a few seconds if the anemone is healthy. The rose's foot attached to the rock within 5 seconds. After that, just let them be. Some will stay put, some will walk around. If they walk around, just let them unless they are headed into a powerhead. Otherwise it just stresses them out to move them on your own around the tank to where you would like them.. they will move to where they like it best no matter if you think so or not, no use fighting them on it.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
didnt sting you?!

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
No, anemones don't really sting you.. at least not Bubble Tips... my condy used to sting me, felt like velcro when it attached to my hand and just a little itchy afterwards, but nothing like a sting.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
O alright, btw which anem is it that he just gave you? the big one the clowns are near?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store