Good beginner books?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

177ichael

AC Members
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
Hello all,

I've been thinking about starting a marine aqaurium and am wondering if any of you have any suggestions on good books for beginners. The size of my aquarium will most likely be around 30g in a corner aquarium shape.

Thanks,
Michael

racerX

AC Members
Jan 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I'm new too and i have to say that Scott W. Michael's Marine Fishes has more then taught me a thing or two about the fish I want to one day keep. The one that has the most info as for starting, maintaining, troubleshooting, and caring for everything in a general manner is Robert M. Fenner's The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. There is another that i have seen oriongirl suggest several times but i can't remember the name i know it comes in three of four different versions and one is for the marine aquarium. wow this is the first person i could help on here.:D

177ichael

AC Members
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
I'll look into picking up a copy of these books soon.

Another question if you will. I saw a used corner tank for $150 posted in an online classified add, but unfortunately it has already sold... I've also poked around major petstores like Petsmart and Petco. They have tanks and stand that seem to be a little pricey in relation to their quality. Any suggestions on where to pick up a corner tank around 30-45 gallons?

Thanks for the responses.

Michael

racerX

AC Members
Jan 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
first off where are you located at?
I had mine from childhood which made it cheaper.
I check the local classifieds daily and have some money tucked away for a good deal.
My LFS has a consignment corner in it.
Ebay has some but beware.
If its used don't buy it unless they will let you fill it there and check for leaks.
I've seen corner tanks at yard sales but its kinda out of season for that now.
your at the point where its easier to be patient so do so.
After you get the tank its kinda hard to hold back.
There are classifieds on here that you can check too.

Shane

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
If you are doing saltwater stay away from corners. They allow you to keep few active fish (actually pretty well none) and are more of a hassle and MUCH more expensive than a rectangular tank. I would go for a bow over a corner. Anyway, just my opinion and good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store