10G Betta Plastic Tub Tank Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
:thm:I bought a holiday 12x10x20in bin on sale for $4, has a lid and a storage shelf. Supposedly it's a 10G. I plan on adding water tomorrow, some sand and maybe some low light plants into it. The tank is on my bookshelf, across from my 2 big windows(sun shines through in the morning) and next to a desk lamp that's only on while we are watching tv and it's dark out. Anyone know what kind of plants are low light? The tank will have cycled sand, but probably no filter or heater. Do you think it's ok if the room is warm during the day but gets cooler at night? We don't have the heater on 24/7, that would cost a fortune! And no, I will not buy another heater. These tanks will be 'room temp tanks.'
:woot:Some time next week, we will be hunting for our 2nd awesome male Betta, but this time for his own tank! I can't wait!:lol2:

I will post pics tomorrow!

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Pics or it didn't happen!

As for plants, I'd recommend getting Java Fern and Java Moss and maybe some Anubias. Since it's in a bookshelf, you should create some sort of lights and screw it on the cabinet.

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
Well, that's why I wanted low light plants, so I wouldn't need to add lighting. Maybe sometime down the road I will, a little flat desk lamp or something would be nice. I can take a pic of the bin now of it and where it will stay, though it would be empty.

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
If I see plants start to suffer, I will get a cheap light for it, but until then, just natural light.
Java Fern, Java Moss & Anubias I know I have in other tanks I can pull some.

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
Better place, worse place?
I'm kinda thinking this is a bad idea..., ok for plants, but a lil fish?
Wondering if I can find a bunch of 5-15G tanks and use those instead...maybe trade for my two 55s...

tomany

AC Members
Nov 23, 2009
Hartford, Al
What about using dividers in your 55's? There are several different kind on the market or you could make your own.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store