20 Long Tang Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I'm picking up a used 20 gallon and I figured I might as well look into a tang set up since I have enjoyed the malawis so much. I've done a little research but figured I would ask here as well. SO far I'm not a huge fan of shellies for this size tank. I would like something a little bigger. I don't mind just keeping a pair of fish.
Suggestions?

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I forgot to mention another reason I have thought of a Tang tank is because my tap water is rock hard and naturally has a high Ph. So it seems perfect for rift lakes species.

I really love calvus cichlids, are there any smaller types that would work in my tank?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
If you're into cichlids, a pair of rams or apistos would be awesome in a 20 long!

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
If you can find locally bred or ones acclimated to harder water, bolivian rams may work. I have a pair in my 29g but they were in the same city water at the LFS. They are doing very well, excellent colors and no signs of issue with the hard water. I would not attempt this with GBR. Kribs may be another option.

Smaller julies may work. They're pretty cool fish.

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
Check out n. marunguensis or n. caudopunctatus. I think they'd probably do okay in a 20L.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Dwarf Sumbu Comp's basically a shorter version of a Comp but in a compact size but they fetch a hefty price tag and usually you will need to order on-line somewhere.. I believe they attain a size of 3" i would love some of these as well here is a photo i pulled off the Net..

Dwarf_Sumbu_2.jpg

Dwarf_Sumbu_2.jpg

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Very nice. I may need to save up.

Now no one yell at me but I wanted to ask. I heard calvus grow very slowly. I can get some from a local breeder that are 1"-2". Would the 20L be ok as a grow out? Then in a year or so I could upgrade the tank size? Or do these guys need a 50+ gallon for a pair?

I've read a lot of mixed views on minimum tank size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store