Pimple/lump on my white goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goldfish247

AC Members
Feb 6, 2009
Australia
Hey guys!

One of my white fantail goldfish has a what looks like a pimple/lump on its head. I have had a look on this site and havn't found anything like it. It's been there for about a week. I would really appreciate your help. I hope the pictures attatched would be of some help in identifying whatever it is.

P1110343.JPG P1110352.JPG P1110357.JPG P1110376.JPG P1110377.JPG P1110379.JPG

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Your goldfish has a tumor and your lucky it is on the skin. It shouldn't cause any harm but if it gets to be too large you can remove it with a scalpel. This is very common in goldfish.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
A tumor surgery can be done if properly planned without risk losing the fish. I've done it before with no issues but it is not something else I would personally recommend unless you are confident you have everything set as planned and able to do what needs to be done. Once done, dab with iodine solution using a Q-tip and then apply Neosporin afterwards to keep off bacteria from infecting the open wound.

Check this link.

http://thegab.org/Veterinary-Procedures/goldfish-tumor-removal-surgery.html

goldfish247

AC Members
Feb 6, 2009
Australia
Thankyou for your replies:)

Um, just a question, if that's a weeks growth, than do you think it would continue to grow at such a fast pace?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Depends. Most tumors grow at a steady slow pace. As long as it is not cancerous and not near the gill and mouth area, the fish is in no danger compared to the opposite. If it does grow considerably, then like The V mentioned, I would start surgically removing that (that is if you are confident in doing that). You'd need to sedate the fish or risk injuring it in its fright.

goldfish247

AC Members
Feb 6, 2009
Australia
I treated the fish in a hospital tank with antibiotics. Surprisingly, with daily treatment and large water changes, the lump has gone right down and is no longer visable.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store