Replacing bulbs question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bsharding1982

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
I've been reading up on lighting and have a couple questions.

I bought my aquarium used and built inside the hood is a T5 ATI fixture with four lamps, 2 ATI 60" 80W Pro Color and 2 ATI 60" 80W Actinics. They are running on two Icecap 430-008 ballasts. I do not know for sure the age of the bulbs, but am pretty sure its time to replace them. I haven't been concerned about lighting until recently I been inching my way into corals.

Should I keep this combination?

When I turn off the day lights only leaving the actinics on, the colors of things are awesome. Could I replace one day lamp with an actinic since they pretty much drown out the actinics visually?

Do I understand right that the Pro Colors are to simulate light for the fish? I don't want to affect the fish negatively as they are my main interest, but would like to keep some corals.

Tank info: 135 gallon. 2 clown, lunar wrasse, blue hippo, niger trigger, yellow tang, sleeper goby, Long tentacle anem, RBTA, 4 Ricordeas, Heteroxenia, some red/green zoas.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
That's a surprisingly dim combination. I would ditch your actinics for some ATI Blue +. If you like the ProColor lamps, try the KZ Fiji Purple. It's not quite the same, but it has a lot more intensity and it does give you a bit of the same color. One of the Fiji Purples, one ProColor, and two of the Blue + (of course, those numbers depend on your lamp choices) lamps should give you about the same, but with a lot more intensity.

Edit: I should add that this combo is a lot brighter. Be sure to acclimate everything appropriately or you could bleach things.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store