Need advice on African Cichlid tank build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SiNiStEr

AC Members
Jan 11, 2010
I'm planning on building a African Cichlid tank. I decide to do a lake malawi build with cichlids from this lake. This tank will be a 55 gallon all glass aquarium, and I'll have a marineland C-360 canister filter on this aquarium, and a 300w heater.

The aquascape I thought about using Texas Holey rocks, but if I can find limestone locally would it be good to use instead of the holey rock?

When it comes to the water chemistry this is where it gets really vague with me.

What PH level should be maintain?
What water hardness needs to be maintain?
what other water quality should be maintain besides the 2 above.

With this type of build should I have live plants in the tank, The aquascape will be a rock structure with a sand bottom, and might have small pebbles in the substrate.

Then when it comes to the lighting, I'm planning on getting a nova extreme 2x54w fixture. Will this be enough or to much lighting for a cichlid tank?

As stated in the first paragraph, I'm planning on using a marineland C-360 canister filter. will this be enough filtration, or should I also consider adding a hob filter along with the canister.

What malawi cichlids shouldn't be mix. I'm not sure about what can be together and shgouldn't be together because of aggression level of the cichlids especially with malawi cichlids.

I know there are more questions but my mind just went blank while writing this thread. When they do come back I'll post those questions.

SiNiStEr

AC Members
Jan 11, 2010
On the background, I'm planning on using krylon fusion, but not sure which color to go with, either black or blue. What color would be best to use?

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
I'm planning on building a African Cichlid tank. I decide to do a lake malawi build with cichlids from this lake. This tank will be a 55 gallon all glass aquarium, and I'll have a marineland C-360 canister filter on this aquarium, and a 300w heater.

The aquascape I thought about using Texas Holey rocks, but if I can find limestone locally would it be good to use instead of the holey rock?

When it comes to the water chemistry this is where it gets really vague with me.

What PH level should be maintain?
What water hardness needs to be maintain?
what other water quality should be maintain besides the 2 above.

With this type of build should I have live plants in the tank, The aquascape will be a rock structure with a sand bottom, and might have small pebbles in the substrate.

Then when it comes to the lighting, I'm planning on getting a nova extreme 2x54w fixture. Will this be enough or to much lighting for a cichlid tank?

As stated in the first paragraph, I'm planning on using a marineland C-360 canister filter. will this be enough filtration, or should I also consider adding a hob filter along with the canister.

What malawi cichlids shouldn't be mix. I'm not sure about what can be together and shgouldn't be together because of aggression level of the cichlids especially with malawi cichlids.

I know there are more questions but my mind just went blank while writing this thread. When they do come back I'll post those questions.
Holey rock is awesome for mbuna but limestone is a great choice for a rift lake tank. You'll want a pH of about 8.0-8.4 for a Malawi tank, at least that's what I tried to keep mine at. Hard water is good, pretty much I have liquid rock coming out of my faucets.

If you have softer water, I would consider using crushed coral sand as a substrate or adding crushed coral to your substrate if you like that look. If not, you can add some to your canister.

The lighting is not really important for the fish but you're brave if you're attempting plants with malawis. Right now I'm attempting plants with my vics and I have a couple of peacocks in there too. So far so good but there is no way I'd add mbuna with live plants. If you're going to try with mbuna I'd stick to java fern, java moss, and anubias. All are low light plants and the lighting you mentioned will be sufficient.

For filtration I would add an Aquaclear HOB to the canister. The rift lakes are pristine and these fish need quite clean water to do best.

As far as what to mix, you probably don't want to mix mbuna and peacocks. The peacocks are likely to get the crap beaten out of them. Most haps will be too big for a 55g so I would avoid those as well. So decide either mbuna or peacocks and start forming a stocking plan. :thumbsup:

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
This setup has been working good for my mbuna tank. We drilled the bottoms out of the terracotta pots, using a 2" ceramic drill bit, so the fish can go in and out of them, plus they also hang out in the spaces between the pots.

Good luck and enjoy your new tank!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
If your hardness is low go with a Coral / aragonite type of sand, Texas Holey rock will do more for your tank than limestone, limestone takes a very long time to release buffering properties, I agree with lab Rat on the HOB or add another small filter with a Bio-wheel attached for surface agitation, I also keep Anuabias in my setups seems to be the only plant my Africans will tolerate unless the plant is in the way of a breeding site.. Black background will pop more for your sand and rocks and your fish will stick out, i used a blue background before and it was more popping than my fish..

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yep java fern and anubias are bitter tasting plants for most fish so they leave them alone after an exploratory bite..

SiNiStEr

AC Members
Jan 11, 2010
thanxs everyone. I'll go with aragonite sand and for the rock structure texas holey rocks. I'll paint the back glass Black, and I'll also add a HOB filter to assist the canister filter.

Let me ask for lighting, it be good to use T5's or use the standard lights that you get at the LFS.

Also what would be some good books on malawi cichlids.

Almost forgot how deep sand bed should I have, since I'm not sure if any of the Mbuna can dig or not, I know everyone here can anwer this one question about the digging.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
If you are not going to add natural plants, I think standard T8's are enough.
A good book to start with Malawi cichlids is: Back to Nature- Guide to Malawi Cichlids; 2nd. edition; by Ad Konings. It is a $30 to $35 book and IMO, a great starting point. I think it is cheapest on Amazon.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I have a few books that i placed on eBay for bid i also have a few more i haven't placed on eBay yet, i have Tang and Malawi books..

Sand bed should be about an inch and a half not too deep and yes they will dig the crap out of your sand bed..

Pm me if your interested in a book i will let them go for cheap..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store