Planing new Puffer Tank! could use some advice...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ditka

AC Members
Jan 11, 2010
Michigan
Hi there!
I am new to puffers, fish and aquarium's in general.
I have been reading/researching brackish, puffers, aquariums, fish in gereral, for the last few weeks and have now put together some ideas/plans for a tank i would like to build and stock. Please help me get off on the right foot and not kill any fish or do anything stupid. Please critique my ideas and set me straight where i am just plain confused.

The Tank:
I would like to build my own rimless tank if not to save money then just to build something. I have seen the youtube videos of it being done and have worked with caulk before, i think i can handle it. I have also read plenty about it... i think. I know which type of caulking to use: GE RTV108 silicone. I am unsure of what dimensions to go with... I like the idea of l=24" w=12" h=16" which is about 20 gallons but i also think a l=24" w=16" h=12" could be cool. Would one or the other or completely different dimensions be best? Should i go larger? Should i paint the back black?

Filter:
i have an Aquaclear 70 and a Penguin 150. i believe the Penguin could do the job but have heard the Aquaclear is the better filter. Which would be better? would the Aquaclear provide too much filtration?

Heater: i have one

Light:
The fishneedit.com 24" T5. I am guessing it is a bit more power than i would require for this situation. Will i be ok? Anything i can do to reduce its effective power?

Fish:
because i am going to build my own tank i could adjust dimensions in order to accommodate fish/larger volume...
What i would like to have:
2 x Figure 8 Puffer
2 x Bumble Bee Goby
maybe some sort of shrimp but from what i have read i believe the figure 8 would eat any shrimp.

Substrate/Decorations:
I have read that aragonite should be used. i have also seen tanks with gravel and or playground sand. Which would be best?
I would like to have the aquarium planted at some point but i think it would probably be best for me to stick to simple decorations, rocks, driftwood, fake plants, for the time being and then move to real plants after a few months or possibly as a separate tank all together.

Cycling:
I have read guides on many forums and will probably start by using the frozen shrimp method.

I think that is about it...

Thanks in advance.

I posted a similar post on thepufferforum.com but figured the more feedback i get, the better!

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
If rimless means topless, I'd forget about keeping puffers in there, they are adept jumpers. Lost 2 F8s to the carpet, when I forgot to put the lid down after feeding/cleaning.

odinthejd

AC Members
Nov 3, 2009
Black Diamond, Washington
You will want a top for sure. You will also want to plant then tank and will need to clean it weekly. If you can clean weekly for a year you can do this but if you can't do this like remembering and stuff I would try puffers. Also you will want snails because they NEED snails in your diet and you may want to have a 10g that has snails breeding. You will want the snails do be breeding and full grown for about a month so you have a lot more then you need because you will need to feed 1-2 snails a day. Hopes this info helps.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
IMO, you don't NEED snails to keep your puffer healthy. Plenty of other crunchy foods for them to eat. Although snails are a really good thing...

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
If you want figure 8 puffers, keep in mind that they need 15g for the first one and 10g for each one you add. So, 2 F8s would need at least 25g. IMHO, the more room the better, especially if you want tank mates. Since you want some bumblebee gobies as well, I would shoot for at least 30g which will give you some wiggle room. IMHO, longer and wider is better than taller since that will give you more surface area for gas exchange, which is critical for keeping good oxygen levels while keeping CO2 levels within a safe range for fish.

I would test your water before you start buying the substrate. If you have a low pH, then definitely go for crushed coral or the aragonite sand. Both of these will help keep the pH in the higher range as well as the hardness, both of which puffers like/need. Marine salt will also help with this, so if it's borderline (say 7.6-7.8), the marine salt might take care of that for you. If your hardness and pH are already high, then you can go with whatever you think looks best.

For decor, have a good mix of short and tall decor as well as some things that they can explore. Puffers are quite intelligent and need an interactive tank to keep them occupied and healthy. Just make sure that there are no sharp, pointy edges when you put them in since puffers don't have scales to protect them. Most commercial decor usually has this taken care of for you, but any slate or other rocks might need some buffing.

To reduce the power of the light, you can raise the light up off the tank so that more of the light goes out and away instead of into the tank. You can also put it on a timer to only run when you are home and looking at the tank since there is no need to have it on for the fish as long as the ambient room light gives it enough light to make a daytime period. Fish are much less picky about light than plants are; fish do require a night period of at least 8 hours, but other than that, they don't seem to care.

Ditka

AC Members
Jan 11, 2010
Michigan
Ok,

I have decided that i should stick with a 20 gallon tank and will be building it in the next week or so. Dimensions: w=24" d=16" h= 13" (change from initial plans to give me a little over 20 gallon internal volume before adding substrate, close to 20 gallons of water volume including filter volume.)
I priced glass out and found that my best option is actually also my cheapest!
For 1/4" plate glass, which will be used for the sides of the tank, i am paying $4 per sq. ft.. For 3/8 , which i will be using for the bottom of the tank i will pay $7.75 per sq. ft. and polishing for the top edge of the tank will cost 10 cents per inch. Glass total after sales tax $60.41.
Silicone i will probably order this weekend from mcmaster.
2x 10.1oz RTV108 + s&h= about $19.10
I guess it is pricey to build your own tank...

Stocking.
1 x Figure 8 Puffer
3 x Bumble Bee Goby

that is all for now. time for sleep

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store