Betta looking bloated

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abisheridee

fish noob!
Nov 21, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
I've got a little crowntail, in with two male guppies (new, and not staying for long) two male platies (same applies) and three kuhli loaches in a 10g tank. Recently I've noticed the betta looks a little bloated. I feed once a day with flake, daphnia once or twice a week as well and don't feed on sundays so don't know what this could be... any ideas? :huh:

AngeTheDude

AC Members
May 22, 2009
If he's still eating, then that's a good sign. He could just be constipated. That happened to my last betta. I fed him a little zucchini. The next day, the bloat was gone, and there was a huge betta turd on the bottom of the tank! :O

abisheridee

fish noob!
Nov 21, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
If he's still eating, then that's a good sign. He could just be constipated. That happened to my last betta. I fed him a little zucchini. The next day, the bloat was gone, and there was a huge betta turd on the bottom of the tank! :O
I hope he is just constipated, it seems to have fluctuated a bit, I starved for longer than normal last week when he looked a bit funny and it dropped, but today he looks quite big again- I fed flake and an algae pellet for the loaches yesterday (everyone has a bit of the pellet though:cool:) so they had a bit of a feast. Have I just got a very sensitive boy?! :duh:

Also, this may seem wierd but I've never actually SEEN him poo! Like, the platies are always swimming about mid-poo without a care in the world, and I don't know whether it's cos he's a crowntail and it disguises poo-strings but I never see him doing one!

What is zucchini? I'm in the UK so I THINK you are on about courgettes, but I'm not sure!! Silly me! :)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
take a pea, put it in a dish in the microwave with a little water and cook it until it's soft. squeeze the middle out of the pea and tear it into tiny betta bite size pieces with your fingernail and feed one or two pieces to the betta. it should help clear him out.

AngeTheDude

AC Members
May 22, 2009
What is zucchini? I'm in the UK so I THINK you are on about courgettes, but I'm not sure!! Silly me! :)
Yep, that's what I mean. Forgive an ignorant yank!

I bet you anything he's been chowing down on those algae pellets. Some bettas really love those. My last betta went crazy whenever I dropped those in for my cories. His stomach would get huge!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store