What Is Normal Betta Behavior?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zbbal

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Sevierville, TN
So, I bought my new betta today (Named him Panda. I'll post a introduction thread tomorrow.), and I want to know what normal behavior is.

I've seen him do some weird stuff already, so I want to make sure he's in his best condition.

I've seen him:
-Rest on the bottom.
-Stay right at the top. So close, the top of his tail is out of the water.
-Sit right next to the heater.
-Lay against a plant or against the sponge over the filter intake.
-Swim sideways. He faces forward, but his body moves left or right.
-His fins go left, while his body goes right.
-Go to the top and take a breath.
-Stare at the glass. He moves almost like he's sniffing it.
-Tuck all his fins in.
-Display all his fins without flaring his gills.
-His side fins moving really, really fast.
-Him swimming forward, stopping, and going backwards without moving.
-Curling around a plant.
-Darting around the tank; moving really fast, then stopping.

I'm just curious about what is normal, and what might be a problem. I'm thinking the flow on my filter might be a little much for my new little guy. Maybe the current is moving him all over? It's a AquaTech 5-15 gallon filter. I have a sponge over the intake, and few pieces inside the actual filter to reduce the flow. The tank is at 76 degrees. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is 3.

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
So, I bought my new betta today (Named him Panda. I'll post a introduction thread tomorrow.), and I want to know what normal behavior is.

I've seen him do some weird stuff already, so I want to make sure he's in his best condition.

I've seen him:
-Rest on the bottom.
-Stay right at the top. So close, the top of his tail is out of the water.
-Sit right next to the heater.
-Lay against a plant or against the sponge over the filter intake.
-Swim sideways. He faces forward, but his body moves left or right.
-His fins go left, while his body goes right.
-Go to the top and take a breath.
-Stare at the glass. He moves almost like he's sniffing it.
-Tuck all his fins in.
-Display all his fins without flaring his gills.
-His side fins moving really, really fast.
-Him swimming forward, stopping, and going backwards without moving.
-Curling around a plant.
-Darting around the tank; moving really fast, then stopping.

I'm just curious about what is normal, and what might be a problem. I'm thinking the flow on my filter might be a little much for my new little guy. Maybe the current is moving him all over? It's a AquaTech 5-15 gallon filter. I have a sponge over the intake, and few pieces inside the actual filter to reduce the flow. The tank is at 76 degrees. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is 3.
Please do not use any filter with current. Betta fish originate from the rice paddies of Siam and current stresses them out. A lot. His swimming without moving his fins can be Swim Bladder Disorder. Curling around a plant may attribute to this as well. As for breathing from the surface that is normal betta fish are anabantoids and labryinth breathers which means they have a lung-like organ that allows them to breathe atmospheric air as the warm waters of Siam were lacking in oxygen. Resting on the bottom staying at the top , and swimming sideways all seem to be symptoms pointing towards Swim Bladder Disorder (a.ka SBD) IMO. Does it seem like he cannot control where he is going? Is he eating?

Zbbal

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Please do not use any filter with current. Betta fish originate from the rice paddies of Siam and current stresses them out. A lot. His swimming without moving his fins can be Swim Bladder Disorder. Curling around a plant may attribute to this as well. As for breathing from the surface that is normal betta fish are anabantoids and labryinth breathers which means they have a lung-like organ that allows them to breathe atmospheric air as the warm waters of Siam were lacking in oxygen. Resting on the bottom staying at the top , and swimming sideways all seem to be symptoms pointing towards Swim Bladder Disorder (a.ka SBD) IMO. Does it seem like he cannot control where he is going? Is he eating?
If I can't use the filter, what am I supposed to use?

His little front fins are always going. Never stop. Otherwise, he seems he knows were he's going most of the time...though sometimes it seems he's being moved by another source. Because some places in the tank, he'll just stop mid water and hover. Now if I'm correct, a fish with SBD can't do that. I could be wrong though, since I've never owned a fish with the disorder. As for eating, I've only had him for about four hours. I tried adding one pellet, but he seemed more interested in his surroundings.

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Breathing at the surface is 100% normal for a betta, as for the other stuff sounds like something is wrong. Just make sure the current is barely noticeable, if it's noticeable at all. You want as little current as possible. Give him a little more time, see if that helps.

Zbbal

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Should I ditch the filter all together? I can't reduce the current any more.

As for SBD, is there anything I can do if he does have it?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
most of that sounds like normal betta behaviour. but if he's doing one or two of the things a lot i'd be concerned.

halfmoon, bettas love flow once they are used to it! all my betta boys had AC hobs on their tanks (10 gallon tank for each fish, i know, spoiled! lol) and they loved playing in the current. the trick is to make sure there is an area or two in the tank where the betta can get out of the current if they want.

he is probably just still getting used to his new environment. most of what you listed sounds like a happy betta to me. give him a few days and let us know if his behaviour changes (eg: settles in and calms down).

Zbbal

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Sevierville, TN
So, now I'm confused. Is the current bad or good? There are several places where the there's no current, and he seems to like sitting right under or wedged between the glass and the sponge that's over the filter intake. At first I thought he was getting sucked toward the filter intake, but nope. He just really likes staying down there.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
most pet store bettas are grown in jars without filtration, then put in those little cups at the store. he probably is just getting used to everything that is new and different. as long as the current from the filter isn't causing him to be tossed about the tank then i wouldn't worry about the filter any. give him a few days to settle in and let us know how he's doing.

Zbbal

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Sevierville, TN
So if a current isn't good, what am I supposed to do? Ditch the filter?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store