Closed Loop on a 125

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

schatzi

Salty Freethinker
Dec 17, 2008
Jefferson City, Mo
I'm planning to setup a 125 gallon and wanted input on a closed loop design, specifically how many intakes and outputs would be most effective for a tank this size. And where to locate them. I bought the tank used but I'm pretty sure it's an All Glass, it's predrilled with the overflows not in the corners but offset from each side about 8 inches I'd guess.

So I was thinking an intake on each end (back wall, not sides) between the L/R sides and the overflows and then two returns in the middle (back wall) between the overflows. Y off the returns with Locline to give at least 4 nozzles. The only other flow I'm wanting to use is the returns (there's two) from the sump. I'm anticipating only getting a few hundred gph from the sump as it will be plumbed down to the basement.

I'm planning this to be a full reef tank. Thanks for any input.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
One influent and at least 4 effluents are recommended. As far as recommended pumps, I'd go for a minimum of a ReeFlo Dart. I think the next step up may be more beneficial for you if you want to do a closed loop--not to mention that it will allow for more options. If you think it is too much once set up, you can always safely and effectively throttle it down. I have the feeling you'll want the full flow later, though.

schatzi

Salty Freethinker
Dec 17, 2008
Jefferson City, Mo
Cool, thanks. I'd been looking at a couple different Reeflo pumps, they seem to be the most efficient on power.

Question that feels dumb asking but I've gotta ask somebody. So on the Dart, it has a 1 1/2" discharge, what does that translate to in size on pipe and bulkhead? Still called 1 1/2"? Would the hole in the glass be an actual 1 1/2"?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Still, just because the Dart has a 1-1/2" output, I would not recommend using 1-1/2" bulkheads as the returns. You need to match the intake hole on your tank with the intake hole of the pump, but for output I would probably split the 1-1/2" output into 4x 3/4" bulkheads in the tank (1-1/2" holes drilled).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store