When to euthanize?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
My female Metriaclima greshakei, Beatrice, has been not doing well for a while now. I have had her since I first set up my mbuna tank. When I got her she was already full grown so I have no idea how old she was when I got her, but I've had her for a year and a half. She use to own my tank and was a great tank leader. When I rehomed the rest of my Metriaclima greshakei, I just couldn't give her up so I kept her.
Now she is wasting away and I feel powerless to stop it. I've tried treating various things but nothing has helped. She's been going downhill for months now and I think she's too far gone now. I just removed her from the main tank and she didn't even struggle. In the past she would have half drowned me with all the splashing. I have her in a holding tank and I'm having trouble deciding what to do. I feel like I should euthanize her but I'm having trouble bringing myself to do it.
I just need some guidance.

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
Honestly, it sounds like it's time. I know it's hard, but get yourself some clove oil and just gradually drip it into her container and she'll fall asleep.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
You'll know when its time if you really think about it. If you've done all you can, and the fish still goes downhill, when there is little life left in her, you know. Maybe that's why you are here? Perhaps you already know, and just want to confirm it with us? When you have no more options, nothing else to try, no other possible treatable cause for her decline except old age, then do it before she suffers too much.

Done properly, its a very peaceful thing.

I've tried a bunch of different ways to euthanize my fish and I have had a lot of bad experiences-vodka, ice water- very bad... UNTIL I found clove oil.

Now I don't hesitate. It is so peaceful.. they don't' struggle or swirl or anything else, their breathing just slows down until it stops. I love my fish, and its always heart wrenching to make the decision, but I am always glad when its done, because it really seems soothing to them- especially if they are struggling to stay upright or off the bottom. Honestly, its like they just slow down and "go to sleep" very calm, no flapping or fighting, no whirling or struggling. It kills me to make the decision, but I always feel relieved, brave, and - I don't want to say happy- but when its over, I always know I did the right thing, and its comforting.

I dissolve some clove in vodka because the oil itself won't dissolve in water. A little tiny bottle (I think it might be 2ml) lasts a long time. I make a 10:1 vodka clove oil suspension, shake well then add about 3ml of that at a time five minutes apart to a plastic container with the fish in tank water. (the clove smell will stick so try to use something disposable). Usually by the second or third dose, the breathing will stop.

I got clove oil in the pharmacy- it was packaged for use as a tooth ache pain remedy. I am sorry for your pain, but I Hope you are comforted when you do the compassionate courageous thing for her, and humanely euthanize her when its time.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Thanks for the encouragement. I went back and looked at some old pictures of her when she was healthy. After seeing that compared to how she is now, I do realize she's suffering. I'll go pick up some clove oil.
Thanks for the push in the right direction.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Very hard to do, I feel for you. She's had a loving owner no doubt! It sounds like her time is near and what finally gives me the courage to do it when there is no obvious suffering is when they begin to get weak. So sorry for you to be facing this.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Sounds like you took a social fish out of its social circle and now its suffering the consequences.

Sorry for your loss.

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
I went to one of those healthy organic stores and found a little bottle of clove oil that's already a small % alcohol and has a little dropper for the lid. I've never needed to do the vodka mixture thing, and it only takes a few drops to do the trick.

It is a peacful method, but it's still hard :-\ good luck.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Sounds like you took a social fish out of its social circle and now its suffering the consequences.

Sorry for your loss.
Thanks for judging without the full information.
First of all she hated the other M. greshakei. She would constantly chase the male into hiding and refused to breed with him Second she remained in the tank with a lot of other mbuna and was perfectly normal. She even seemed happier with the others gone. She really became less aggressive once the male was gone. She was healthy up until a couple months ago. I rehomed the M. greshakei last April.

Anyway she's gone now. Thank you for the support.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I agree with Turbosaurus. The clove oil method is so gentle, it is truly a merciful way to end your old girl's suffering. She won't be frightened or feel distress when done properly.

Be sure to ask the pharmacist for pure clove oil, they usually know it best as eugenol. I find that it is kept behind the counter at the pharmacy for some reason. If you ask one of the clerks or associates they may take you to the toothache section and give you Oragel, or Anbesol, you don't want either of those.

Turbo's method is easy and doesn't take long at all. If you can find it with alcohol in it then that's a good idea, too.

If you don't have Vodka, however, you can carry this out using tank water, but you must shake the bejeebers out of the mixture so that it appears milky.

I use a turkey baster, reserved for this purpose, and draw up quite a bit of tank water, maybe 3 ounces. I have an eyedropper I got from the drugstore, also reserved for this purpose, and put one drop of clove oil right into the baster with the tank water.

The fish is in a container large enough for it to be held comfortably, but not too big. I shake the baster, fingertip over the opening, and I mean vigorously. Slowly I add this mixture, at the rate of about a drop every couple of seconds, but I shake it up about every 3 or 4 drops. The fish doesn't notice it. Once all of this has been added, I wait.

The fish I have had to euthanise weren't big, so they ultimately were in about 12 to 16 ounces of water, with one drop of clove oil, at this first step.

Usually within 10 minutes the fish has settled down to the bottom of the container and is still breathing, but asleep.

Using the turkey baster I draw up some of the water he's in, I don't know how much really, I just suck up as much as possible, and put about 6 more drops in the baster.

I shake it really well, until milky. Then I add drops very slowly, this should be a lethal dose, so after one drop I watch to make sure there's no movement of the fish, other than breathing. If there's any movement, he may not be fully unconscious, so wait for another 10 minutes after that drop before you continue.

Then, again, shake the mixture like crazy, and add, slowly, about a drop every 5 seconds, shaking in between. Once all the liquid is added back in with the fish this should be enough to have put the fish down. Watch for breathing. I usually leave the fish for a few minutes and come back. If you were to find the fish is still breathing do a few more dops as before.

If you have Vodka I'd go with Turbo's method, but I thought I'd add this as an alternative if you don't have Vodka. You can't use rubbing alcohol, this has to be Vodka.

I'm so sorry for this painful time for you. It really does hurt to lose one our little creatures we've taken care of, and loved.

It's scary and stressful, for you the fishkeeper, especially the first time you have to carry out this sad task, but it can be absolutely stress free for the fish. And, really this is a much less stressful method for for you the fishkeeper than any other method.

It hurts you, but she will not feel any pain or discomfort, just be sure to move slowly, don't rush it. Bless you for caring so much for her that you want to do this for her.

EDIT: I'm sorry I posted this late, though you had excellent advise to help you do this. I'm so terribly sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store