asian silver carp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jemanser

AC Members
Nov 22, 2005
ohio
Hey guys....in our infinite wisdom we have introduced the Asian carp into our ponds in the 1940"s( in attempts to clean the ponds up). Now they have taken over many of our southern rivers and threaten our great lakes, potentially ruining a multi-billion dollar fishing industry. These carp are varacious eaters and breeders...accountiong for more than 80% of the bio-mass in some of the rivers they occupy. The point of my lengthy intro is to keep are beautiful goldfish/koi as pets in our contained ponds and not release them into the wild. After reading about the plight of our indigenous fish species, I can't help feel sad and a little guilty... any pinions out there?

Stargazer53

AC Members
Oct 4, 2006
Wait, so is your question for opinions of how to keep beautiful goldfish/koi from being released into the world? There's no need to feel guilty about keeping koi/goldfish. Although they are similar to the Asian Carp, they are not even close to be as invasive. With that said, no one should be releasing any kind of non-indigenous fish into their ponds/streams/lakes PERIOD. :)

jemanser

AC Members
Nov 22, 2005
ohio
I agree, no non-indigenous fish should be released into the wild. But often they are, either accidentally or intentionally as was the asian carp. My thread was not to impart guilt(especially to fish keepers... I keep a koi pond and tropical fishas well) but appreciate the ravaging effects these species have on our native wildlife...it goes way beyond fish species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store