Hippo Tang or Flame Angel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sregnar35

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
I'll start my post like usual, tank specs:

75g FOWLR, 3 maxijet 1200's, CPR Bak Pak 2R, 3in dsb, 20lbs live rock, 50-60 lbs base rock. Current stock as follows...

2 False Percula Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
4 turbo snails
3 Blue leg hermits
1 Red leg hermit
2 Peppermint shrimp
1 Emerald crab
1 Sally Lightfoot crab

Water...
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 15-20ppm
Temp- 78-80
SG - 1.022

My question is this, my tank began it's cycle 11/7/03 and here I am, of the 2 fish I want (hippo tang and flame angel) which if any could I add now(or soon)? I've decided that although some recommend at least a 6 foot tank for tangs, my tank has a lot of current and low lying rock for maximum swimming room, so I'm hoping he will do ok. I'm just not sure that a tank that is 2 months old is stable enough for either fish? Any thoughts?

P.S. here's a pic of my gramma "Toby"

toby face 3.jpg

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I love the gramma. Also, nice pix over on Aquatic Photos.

One way to keep from having to post your specs over and over is to put them into the "Members Aquarium Specs" part of the forum and then link them to your posts.

No useful advice about tangs and angels. Sorry.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
It's no trouble for me if you post it every time, just thought it might save you a little trouble. That way you can describe your tanks in some detail, but only have to type it out once.

Sregnar35

Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
I gotcha, I kinda like putting the specs in the post, that way people who don't want to click on a seperate link can still be informed as t owhat the heck I'm talking about. And besides, my specs change daily because I'm always adding something!!

K9Decoy

Four-legged Fishkeeper
Dec 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
www.worldvision.org
Sregnar, I would go with the Flame Angel. That is assuming you don't have any other dwarf angels in your tank already. Dwarf angels are known to get territorial in a tank that isn't large enough. I would assume a 75 gallon is large enough though if you have plenty of hiding places. Flames don't get any larger than 4-5 inches, so you should be OK.

As for the Hippo Tang. I love them myself and can't wait till I have a tank big enough to get one, but they grow to 10'' or more, so just keep that in mind when and if you purchase one.

My final decision: Flame Angelfish
Reasoning: smaller, needs less swimming room, more reef compatible

Sregnar35

Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Thanks ClownAround, I could safely get a flame angel even though my tank is so young? I have little to no green algae growth, but there is quite a bit of brown algae. I do feed herbivorous pellets, my shrimp love them. I know angels are omnivores, but I was just curious and I want to be safe.

K9Decoy

Four-legged Fishkeeper
Dec 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
www.worldvision.org
I have a Bicolor Angelfish in my 1 month old tank and he's doing just fine. I feed him regular flake food, and just to make sure he gets his greens, I feed him broken up pieces of Algae Discs that I used to have for my freshwater Plecostomus. He just loves them! Every once in awhile I'll catch him grazing on the live rock, but as soon as he gets fed, he leaves it alone. You should be safe with the herbivorous pellets. You could also try supplementing his diet with some Romaine lettuce, or spinache.

I would have gotten a Flame Angel myself instead of the Bicolor, but my LFS didn't have any in stock and even if they did, it would be twice as much ($40) as my Bicolor. When I get a bigger tank someday :rolleyes: . I will get one for sure. Enjoy him!

P.S. NICE CAR!!!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store