3 Cories down 1 to go...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
Went to the LFS to get some plants and ended up getting 4 Bandit Cories too. Brought them home, seemed like they were doing OK. I thought they were being shy when they went for cover under an ornament I have in the tank, but little did I know they were slowly dying. They became lethargic, layed on the bottom of the tank, gills moving rapidly.

Without even testing the water I did a 25% water change, thinking the worst. Water change didn't work. No physical signs of illness on their bodies (fungus, mucus, spots, nothing). They were just laying at the bottom slowly debilitating. One by one they went and now theres one left. I have no clue what else to do since the other fish in the tank are behaving normally.

Even after dying I examined them and found no evidence of being sick, the only signs were the laying on the bottom, hiding, gills moving rapidly.

Can anybody help?

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
bump

naliel

AC Members
Apr 19, 2009
il
I can't help in any way, but I hate that the same thing happen to me every time I get corys ( and I love cory's) the difference is that mine just start swiming in circles-swirls and down to the bottom breathing rapidly. It sucks that your corys died. :(

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
You need to test your water with a liquid test kit and post the results. Do you know offhand if there's much of a difference between the LFS water and your tanks water? How soon after you added them did they die? And how do you acclimate them?

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
My readings at the time were 0-0-5 with a ph of 7.6 (dont know KH and GH). I have bought fish from them before with really no problems, but I guess it would still be a good idea to compared my water to theirs.

The first 3 died within 2 days and the fourth is still alive but, not doing too well. I don't know what I can do for him... I acclimate them by putting the bag on the surface of the water for about 10 min and pouring a little bit of water into the bag every 5 min. Once the bag gets full I empty out half of the water and start over again before dumping them in the tank. I don't have a quarantine tank...

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Sounds like they may have been ill when you purchased them. The loss rate of LFS bought cories is very, very high. I stopped buying them from the stores when I couldn't keep them alive no matter what I tried.

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
Dam... definitely a bummer. I thought they were just being shy, guess not. Gotta have a keener eye at the LFS next time then...

Thanks for your input!

GCL

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Western Ct.
See how long the fish store has had them. The longer of course, the better, as long as they are still healthy.

Your acclimation method is what I use, but by your saying;
...Once the bag gets full I empty out half of the water and start over again before dumping them in the tank
I hope you pour them into a net first, then put them in the tank. Never put the bag water into your tank.

Even if you did put in the bag water, I don't believe that would have made the Cories get sick and die as quickly as they did.

If you can, do yourself a huge favor and set up a small quarantine tank.

Sorry for your losses. It seems to be getting all too common lately. So sadly, I'm going to say sickly stock is making its way around, or the store/person that gets them in is not taking care of them properly.

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
Sorry about that. No I do not pour the bag water into the tank! lol

So yeah, the last one passed away and I am left with no cories one again...

Gotta keep a sharp eye out I guess...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store