Altolamprologus Compressiceps Gold Head Muzi

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
Received an order of wc altolamps a week ago Friday. Picked up some A. calvus black Congo white pearl (already put some pics of these guys) and some Muzi gold head. All the fish have been pretty shy but the gold head (esp. the male) have been VERY shy. They are coming out more and more each day. I was finally able to get some pics of the gold heads (although the pics were near the back of the tank so "sharpness" suffered due to me using a point & shoot).

In any event, I almost didn't get the gold heads. The importer who sold them to me (who's opinion I trust) told me he REALLY liked the gold heads. Long before he ever got any in, he told me they were his favorite of all altolamps (the ones from Muzi). I searched the internet and good pictures of gold heads (the kind of pictures that do them justice) just don't exist (a couple come close). The pics from the importer were even worse (sorry Mike :wink: ). I really struggled with buying them. I ended up getting a trial pair just to see what they looked like and because of Mike's opinion of them. I am very glad that I did pick a couple up (actually, I am wishing I got more of them).

The conviction that I wanted to share with you all is that they look so much better in person than pictures can tell. As a wanna be photographer, I find that very challenging. They have such a warm gold color that is just hard to capture. So, here are my first somewhat "decent" pics since. The female will come out near the middle of the tank but the male still stays at the very back so I am not happy at all with his pics (we he becomes less shy I'll work on some pics). Anywho, this is the start of my new obession: trying to show these beautiful altolamps as the eye sees them):

Female

Male (at the back of the tank :( ) - it's the best I can do for now

Male & female at the back of the tank

Another pic of the female. To me, this pic comes the closest that I have taken (so far) of showing the rich warm color that seems to come from within

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Lovely couple...keep the pics coming!

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
Thanks guys - I am pretty stoaked about these guys. I am really liking this female (below). Her gold blaze extends well beyond the pectoral fin and and she has a thick runner of blaze that paralelles the dorsal fin all the way back and she's got the blaze on the entire dorsal fin back to about the fith or sixth ray. Most gold heads that I have seen only have the blaze just past the gill cover. I consider this girl to still be in the "coloring up" phase of a new addition to a tank (I hope she agrees with me on that :) I am gonna be working real hard at photographing her.

My buddy sold out of these VERY fast. So fast that he quickly ordered two more boxes of them from the same collection point (the come into the states in early Feb). I am seriously considering adding to the two that I have and starting up a new 55 for just for gold heads. Gold Head from Muzi do not come into the country very often.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
By all time my fave fish would have to be the Comp's i love mine and yours look great as well buddy..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store