Artificial Mudskipper Burrow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
After thinking for a while I decided that to make my mudskippers feel at home and possibly engourage them to breed, that I would start the use of burrows in their tank. I currently put in 1 blue tube that is maybe 3-4.5 inches in length and a little more than an inch in diameter at the opening. Is this typically how mudskippers live in burrows in the wild? Please help me. Bonus points if you're an ichthyology nerd.

MrGrayMySkipper

AC Members
Apr 11, 2009
um mudskipper fan i would guess it wouldn't work quite like that the only way i could see mudskippers breeding is if you have something that could replicate the tides. in nature they live in burrows yes but i believe only when the tide is high and at night. im saying at night because my mudskippers worked together to make a burrow and they go there at night. but i dont have any thing too make tides. could you post a few pics of your tank. what types of mudskippers are they. if they are african id think the 1 inch diameter hole is to small. if there indians well i know nothing about them hopefully jackiomy will check this post out she knows alot about mudskippers

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
They're indian mudskippers. I didn't want to actually breed them but if it could happen that would be AWESOME!!!!!
Now that you've told me, I guess I could use my mechanical siphon to repeatedly replace water every night. After I moved the skips to their burrows last night, I found that even though the holes are an inch wide, they can still turn easily, and sometimes they even want to go in the borrows themselves.

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
I don't know anything about mudskippers but that sounds so cool! Can you post some pics? I love your avatar BTW

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Okay, at 6:00 pm I'm going to raise the water level by maybe 2 gallons. That will be enough to make the water as high as the sand level.

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Okay, here's the deal. I made the tube point upward but with a slant. (kinda like //) I made the water level rise so that the land part was about a centimeter or two under it. I moved one of the skippers in there and they got the point and are still remaining in there. The second one doesn't have a clue and is trying to find land even though there is a fake tree branch and maybe the burrow. After I can move these guys to a 15g or hopefully a 25g, I'll make a REAL burrow like this.

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Drained the water to simulate low tide and replaced remaining water to clean it out. (I was sticking my hands in there and it messed up the water quality.) This first tide simulation sucked, hopefully I can improve it next time and maybe even get a timer and some other stuff to do it for me.

Last edited:

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Here's a pic of the tank.
Sometimes the crabs will steal the burrow from the mudskipers and I have to drive them out. Good thing the 2 large ones that do so are only here for a day.

DSC00960.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store