Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    11-06-2012 6:24 AM

Will RO filter lower PH

I am on city water but it has a high Ph around 9 and I am sure it is hard water. My question is will softening the water with a RO filter also reduce PH.

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof! dundadundun's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    depends on what particulates may be in your water. i doubt it will have a large affect on city water.
    Regards... Done.

Sent from one of my tablets, netbooks, laptops, desktops or other devices using Win 7, Vista, Xp, ubuntu, xubuntu, android or another random OS of the week.

Registered Fish Offender foolishfish's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Had a recent bout with a sudden pH increase from my water company rerouting our supply and it was a pain.

I would start by asking your water company for their annual report (good base line but it doesn't reflect seasonal and occasional changes). Test for just what it is that makes your water hard or pH high. I found my carbonate had quadrupled, so I needed an acid buffer to break up the carbonate so I wouldn't get into a pH bounce mode, so say'eth the good folks at Seachem.

What they didn't mention, and I didn't know enough to ask, was that their buffers and Neutral Regulator all have phosphate in them, so then all of my planted tanks started growing algae. Then I had to remove the phosphates, which are buffers to help stabilize the pH. Kind'a maddening. Added some more driftwood and increased water changes so things are back to normal.

If you have an extension service, university or water filtration company nearby you might try getting an analysis from them before you go sockin' the money into an R/O system. If your fish are already pretty well acclimated to mineral rich water you'll end up going through all kinds of fun to put back essential parts of whatever the R/O has removed.
    "A clever man commits no minor blunders." - Goethe (1749-1832)

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 1:37 PM
    RO water will pull water closer to 7.0. Therefore, if your source water is higher than 7.0, it will lower it. Conversely, if your source water is lower than 7.0, it will raise it.

So, in your case, RO water will soften and lower your pH. If it has a pH of 9 out of that tap, it's a safe bet that it's VERY hard.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    06-05-2014 5:27 PM
    Yes it will lower your PH
    "Gloria in excelsis Deo"

The glistening drop.... Rbishop's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Global Moderators
    Real Name
    Mr. Normal
    Last Activity
    Today 2:04 AM
    Is that tap pH on a sample that set out overnight in a shallow dish? What pH does your tank(s) currently read? In general, if your tap pH is over 7.0, the RO will help lower it. Depending what is in your tank, it may go back up a little.
    Bob

Our baggage helped define who we are. How we carry it determines our direction in life.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    11-06-2012 6:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbishop View Post
    Is that tap pH on a sample that set out overnight in a shallow dish? What pH does your tank(s) currently read? In general, if your tap pH is over 7.0, the RO will help lower it. Depending what is in your tank, it may go back up a little.
    My Ph reading of 9 is directly from the tap it was not set out for a period of time. Currently my tank Ph is about 7.5 however that is do to a product my local fish store provided called Water-Rite. This is a declorinator and Ph adjuster. The problem is they are having problems with their supplier and I donít know when they will have more. This is the reason I am looking into the RO system if that is all I need besides Prime or another declorinator it will be one less product I will have to hunt down.

Thread Information