Dwarf Chain Loaches - Average Cost?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Madding

A frog among toads.
Apr 12, 2009
New York
My LFS got in a rare shipment of Dwarf Chain Loaches. These little sids have been there for a couple of weeks now due to their $20 per loach price tag. I'm worried for this 10+ loach shoal because nobody is going buy the adequate 5-6 sids for their tank at 20 dollars a pop. They'll be sold off one at a time, or not sell at all.

Enter me.

Knowing that these loaches are rare nowadays (I've never seen them in upstate New York my entire fishkeeping career) and wanting the shoal to stay together for social health, I am going to try to purchase the whole lot of them at some kind of discount.

What do you think would a good offer? What have you guys seen them go for, or what have you paid for them? I know they are critically endangered, but I still think $20 seems high for a 1-2" loach. I'd be getting about 11-12 of them.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Whew, that's a hefty price you paid. Pics would be great :) Have you considered trying to breed em?

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
I don't think they have been bred in captivity. I have a Shoal of 20 in my tank and yes they are expensive but personally I think worth it as they are great to watch in large numbers.

ESOXLUCIOUSS

AC Members
Nov 19, 2005
Dublin Ireland
Super fish 15 euro each in the LFS, i only have three left after an ich incident, still 4 more left in the lfs, they have been there 6 months now.. I might pick them up.
I would love to see the pics.
Regards,
Denis

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
$20 is average, but I've seen as low as $10-12 from individual sellers. And as far as I know they are extremely hard to breed in captivity and still done via hormone injection on a large scale. I want to say that Debbi (pinkertd) tried but I don't remember.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
$20 is average, but I've seen as low as $10-12 from individual sellers. And as far as I know they are extremely hard to breed in captivity and still done via hormone injection on a large scale. I want to say that Debbi (pinkertd) tried but I don't remember.

Tried is the word. I didn't know they were near impossible to breed, forgot about her thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store