Bare vs. Planted Tanks and Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
I was on a chat at a Discus website and get chewed out by regulars for mentioning live plants and Discus in the same sentence. It seems to be the 'trend' there to have bare tanks - and no other way is acceptable, almost to the point of abusing the fish if plants are in the same tank. I was just a bit shocked at the narrow-mindedness of these people. For me, I couldn't have Discus in a bare tank. I realize this may be good for breeders, but not at all for me. I had no idea this is such a touchy topic for some.
I think some may be just too lazy to keep maintenance going on their aquariums. At least a couple of them leaned that way when they mentioned the extra 'unneeded' effort. One even said "plants and Discus just cannot be done." Weird........ :(

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
personally i like natural looking tanks for display tanks.

If i was just trying to breed them, then id have a bare tank.

But when people come to look at the tank and you want them to be impressed, having a beautifully planted tank with Discus and cory cats is the only way to go. IMO.

Last edited:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Yes, that's where I went - Simply-surround-your-Discus-with-glass-only.com

:rolleyes:

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
There's fanatics for every subject under the sun. I know absolutely nothing about discus but I do know your tank is positively GORGEOUS.

Also, on your tank specs, the picture you have there right now, bottom left hand corner, do u know the exact name of that plant? Is it a crypt? wendtii? beckettii?

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
I've been keeping mine with silk plants for about 1 1/2 years. My Discus seem real happy. I guess everybody is entitled to there opinions. To me a bare tank will be pretty boring.

Put it this way. Let's put them in a room to live with nothing in it. Let's see if they would be happy.:D

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by kveeti
Also, on your tank specs, the picture you have there right now, bottom left hand corner, do u know the exact name of that plant? Is it a crypt? wendtii? beckettii?
Thanks!
It's a Red Wendtii (Cryptocoryne wendtii).

JohnMemorialHS

Speed Demon
Apr 15, 2001
Madison, WI, USA
To be honest, live plants don't do good under the high temperature discus desires. In nature, discus lives with high amount of drift wood around them, barely any plants, so technically, pieces and pieces of driftwood in the tank would be the most natural decoration. Plastic plants is probably better, because they can handle the high temperature better ;)

a_free_bird73

AC Members
Jun 13, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
There has been many articles written on this and the verdict is there is absolutly no reason for why you can't keep Discus in a normal planted community tank...

From my personal experience, the only problem I have encountered is feeding. Unless forced to do so, I found most Discus will not eat until the food sinks to the bottom. If there is gravel, they will sometimes ignor the food for a while and if it is a community tank then nothing will be left for them to eat... However, when they are forced into competitive environments they tend to change their feeding habits though some are a little more tricky to handle...

JohnMemorialHS

Speed Demon
Apr 15, 2001
Madison, WI, USA
Yes, discus can live in a community tank temperature (77~81), but they will not thrive, and often times, they're prone to diseases when the temperature isn't above 82. Discus really aren't the best community fish out there, they're more suited to a species tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store