Betta with a grazed side

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abisheridee

fish noob!
Nov 21, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
I did something terrible to Gill :( :mad:

I was getting some water out with a jug, and he swam up between the jug and the side of the tank so I couldn't see him, and he grazed himself all along the side of the tank :(

I feel so guilty :(

Is there anything I can add to the water to help him heal and to stop him growing fluff, or getting an infection? Or should I just do small daily water changes to keep everything super clean?

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
Keep the water pristine...as for preventing infections I would post some pics and ask some of the experts on this forum

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
if it's just the scales abraded or even if he's missing a few scales i wouldn't worry about medicating. daily water changes for about a week just to ensure his environment is a clean as possible to prevent infection.

edit, lol, i was posting as you were uploading pics.

hard to tell, but is that a gouge or just an abrasion?

abisheridee

fish noob!
Nov 21, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
It's just an abrasion, it's not deep or anything, haha, those pics are seriously crap, you'd never believe I've got A levels in art and graphics :p

What percentage water change shall I do?

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
your tank is 10 gallons but without filtration? (you mention 'bowl' in your tank setup).

i'd do large volume, say 75% or more each day if possible.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i'd still do a larger volume, say 60% or more daily. you want to make sure the water is as clean as possible to combat infection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store