First SW tank - need suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bowsky07

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
So I'm finally getting my first SW tank. It's 55 gal and I know I want to do FOWLR (maybe one day I'll do coral when I have the time, space, and money). I've done some research but I want to make sure I get things right.

Question 1) I'm very interested in getting a triggerfish (humu picasso) and I was wondering if 55 gal is going to be enough room. I've seen them rated for anywhere between 50gal to 75gal, but is 55 gal really enough? If so, what other fish are good companions? I know triggerfish can be aggressive, so would larger tangs or angelfish work?

Question 2) As far as equipment goes, I know a budget lighting system can be forgiving with FOWLR, but should I get a protein skimmer? What would be the best one for 55 gal? Also, what other filtration systems (besides the live rock) are recommended? I don't want to go live sand as I've heard its a pain with upkeep and I prefer the look of bare bottom anyways.

Any other suggestions are appreciated as this is my first time!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
ok, see this come up way to often. When you see a fish you like and is says it need X amount of gallons of water for that fish, that is ONLY for that fish. So if a Huma needs 50G-70G, that is the only fish you would want to put in that tank. If you see a fish that needs 30G, then you can have 2 fish that both require a 30G in a 55G tank (some fish you can't even do this with, like 2 Dwarf Angels wouldn't work in a 55G). It doesn't work like most people think.. X fish needs 50G and so does Y fish, you can't put in 2 fish that both require 50G and not expect to have some issues. This is a SW type of rule, FW you can get away with a lot more.

Live rock and a good skimmer, like a Reef Octopus Hang on Back type of skimmer would be really the only filtration you would need in a FOWLR tank.

Bowsky07

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Okay, so the tank is from a friend and its actually closer to 80 gal (I just saw it), but thanks for the info Ace - I'll try not to overcrowd.

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
Ace, I know this thread is a couple months old, but I agree with your assessment.
I'm a member on a SW forum/group and the "experts" there (no, it's not RC) all seem to agree they don't even consider tanks "big" until you're talking about 125 or larger. I think many people, just starting out, think 55g is a "big" tank, when in fact it's probably just getting out of the "small/nano" stage.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
What does fowlr mean?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I'm a member on a SW forum/group and the "experts" there (no, it's not RC) all seem to agree they don't even consider tanks "big" until you're talking about 125 or larger.
Big is a very relative term.... if you really think about it, ALL aquariums are "Nano's" if compared to the ocean. But for me, I don't start to call a tank "Big" until it gets over 1000G. 1-100G=Small, 100G-1000G=Medium, and 1000G+ = Large in my book in the SW world. ;)

duke33

Hillbilly MFKer
Dec 3, 2007
central WV
Big is a very relative term.... if you really think about it, ALL aquariums are "Nano's" if compared to the ocean. But for me, I don't start to call a tank "Big" until it gets over 1000G. 1-100G=Small, 100G-1000G=Medium, and 1000G+ = Large in my book in the SW world. ;)
:lol: :headbang2:No disrespect OP.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store