Mudskipper feeding problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Hey all. I have had trouble trying to feed my mudskippers anything that is not live blackworms, and since I ran out of those yesterday I am trying to feed them crickets. They don't seem too interested in the crickets and they actually ignore them. However, one mudskipper looked like it was trying to stalk it only because it was in the shallow water but when it left, it ignored it. The same thing happened with a ghost shrimp. HOW CAN I GET THESE GUYS TO TRY NEW FOODS???

Oh, by the way, info:

2 indian mudskippers
10 gallon tank (only temporary, I'll try to buy a 15-29g when petco has it's $1-per-gallon sale)
I've had them for I think 3 or 4 weeks now.
There are several ghost shrimp and 3 fiddler crabs in the tank with them for cleanup.

So what do I do?

MrGrayMySkipper

AC Members
Apr 11, 2009
did you clean the tank. my mudskippers stop eating 4 four days before they start again. just remember im useing my experiance with african mudskipper so it might be different.

i put frozen blood worms with the live black worms so the mudskippers got used to not eating only things that move but also trying to get them in a schedule i only feed mine at specific times so when they see me they know its food and come onto land to eat

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
They do seem to like to eat and mostly play with the ghost shrimp when they get stranded on shore. How do I move them to crickets?

MrGrayMySkipper

AC Members
Apr 11, 2009
i have never gotten my mudskippers to hunt crickets in front of me i put them in they attack them then leave them there to die

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
My skippers will see the ghost shrimp on the shore, then they will throw it around and then leave it, and then watch as it dies slowly and painfully, and then throw it around again. They eat parts of the shrimp in the process and I end up with a huge chunk of shrimp flesh. It's mostly the male who does this, and then if the female comes up to him and asks for a piece, then he will raise up his fins at her and then basically tell her to **** off in mudskipper language. I have actually even seen them move their mouths as if they were talking while they were next to each other, and they weren't digging for worms in the sand. If they leave the shrimp I give it to the girl and the male will chase her for it and raise his fins at her. Funny little things.

But CAN'T THEY ALL JUST GET ALONG?

MrGrayMySkipper

AC Members
Apr 11, 2009
my mudskippers fight for food all they time every so often the big female will take a bit of the little ones fin but he always recovers in a day or less. maby you should try frozen brine shrimp melt it a little and rub it on the sand it makes the mudskippers hunt for it like they do in nature so they are used to things getting stranded on shore so they eat it. i do it with my mudskipps it cuts down fighting and its fun to watch and they seem to enjoy it

donald432

AC Members
Jan 28, 2010
california
feeding my skips crickets is one of the few things that brings joy into my life. they will eat the crickets, the dry food, pretty much anything i put into the tank with them. and they eat every day. try putting their food stuffs out of the water, on the beach or some floating piece of whatnot, that's what i do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store